This American Life Retracts Apple Workplace Conditions Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

People are really desperate for a simple narrative, and easy bad guys. This is a truly pathetic story, and a shame that Daisy seems to have had such a cavalier attitude about how he presents his story. To call it 'dramatic license' is an insult to Drama on top of all the other offenses of it. Look at the ammo it gives the freemarket - denialist camp now.

No more TV, go outside and play with your friends.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, let's pretend Foxconn workeers have wonderful conditions then.
I saw quite disturbing pictures on TV (by BBC) but carry on...

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
i fully belive that this man was a plant from APPLE, to lead to this situation..
i mean it effectively kills all the support for the movement against inhuman corporates.
we see it all the time here in india, the difference is its usually in politics

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
There go his 5 minutes of fame...
OTOH, that doesn't change the reality on the ground, it just makes it much harder to change it, because anyone who will report about it will be met with derision now. Looking back at the whole episode, it seems "planted" by someone who actually has an interest to keep things as they are...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]rr fiske[/nom]People are really desperate for a simple narrative, and easy bad guys. This is a truly pathetic story, and a shame that Daisy seems to have had such a cavalier attitude about how he presents his story. To call it 'dramatic license' is an insult to Drama on top of all the other offenses of it. Look at the ammo it gives the freemarket - denialist camp now.No more TV, go outside and play with your friends.[/citation]

Fake but true.*

pravius

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Apple has $100 Billion in cash reserves. I am thinking either this dude was paid off or he was threatened. With $100 billion in cash reserves I would imagine it would be pretty easy to make someone "disappear".

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
He should be banned from being on a TV show, at least ones that he can fabricate stuff.

He used lies to gain popularity, that's a TV version of the yellow journalism.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i say this every time.

if the government forces you to work there, its sick and needs to stop, but if you CHOSE it yourself, i have no pitty, yea it sucks, but what are you going to do about it? invade china to make them stop? i mean our government cant do anything because china own such a significant portion of our debt they can collapse us if they want.

again every thread,

dont put our values an impoverished country

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i say this every time. if the government forces you to work there, its sick and needs to stop, but if you CHOSE it yourself, i have no pitty, yea it sucks, but what are you going to do about it? invade china to make them stop? i mean our government cant do anything because china own such a significant portion of our debt they can collapse us if they want. again every thread, dont put our values an impoverished country[/citation]

Actually, independent investors and investment companies, both foreign and domestic, owe most of the debts. China has their own growing debts as well, one of Times's magazines stated that they had to write off about $1 billion worth of bad loans a few years ago.

[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Then again we can just invade China and say screw you we won't pay, we owe you nothing.[/citation]

Well, time to start collecting Nuka Cola caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.