This Device Can Read SNES, Genesis Carts via USB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Have it read all carts; nes, Atari even gameboy and game gear - then package their own all-in-one emulator - then maybe I could see that high of a price tag.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
For 84 dollars you can buy the consoles (and a load of games) and play them on your big screen television. 84 dollars... REALLY!? I will just download the roms. It's not like they are being manufactured anymore. The only people it hurts, are the people trying to sell old games (often WAY overpriced). And as someone else already pointed out, if you already own the game, then is downloading the rom really illegal? I doubt it.

Nice try. Better off selling USB/controller converters for people who want the classic controller feel.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
My SNES still works fine. The games' batteries are just dead or soon to be so. I feel its too much trouble now to replace the batteries. Sad really.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Cool idea, but too expensive. Especially when you consider trying to get your hands on some of the more rare titles, you'll be spending a fortune.

Emulators for the win.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Actually, it is probably illegal to download a ROM, even if you own the origonal image. To my knowledge, there aren't any legal cases that cover this particular case. But given the internal ID for the ROM would not match up with the physical copy you already own, I would imagine most courts would rule this illegial.Same murky legay grey area as rom hacking and translations...[/citation]

its illegal if you have to crack drm to get to it, but this is pre dmca, and pre internet tech, i don't know how much if any drm is in these things. see there is a part of out law that allows for a back up of any data and in any format, so long as you don't have to crack it, if you have to crack it, it becomes illegal.

[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]very fun idea, the pricetag should be $19.99 as it is simply a card reader. it should also have ports for came controllers on it at that price[/citation]

it does, cant you see them?

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Get me an IntelliVision reader and I'd buy it.

The problem with using the original consoles instead emulating is that technology marches on. My IntelliVision was designed to hook up to the old RF switchboxes (hard to buy, REALLY had to hook up to a modern flatscreen TV).

Also, the consoles are aging. They start malfunctioning and breaking down. People aren't making new ones (other than -mostly-the compatible knock-offs).

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm going to get marked down for this, but unless there was another case on this, the decision of the Atari v. J&A case in 1983 makes this immediately illegal.

When are they going to update that ruling?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I would think they would consider ROM's abandonware by now...........[/citation]

nope with companies like square and sega releasing all there classics on everything now there just as relevant as new games now

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]nope with companies like square and sega releasing all there classics on everything now there just as relevant as new games now[/citation]

And in SE and Sega's cases, the classics are better.

G

lawsuit in 3 2 1.....

Even tho you have to own the game to use this, its still illegal to copy the rom onto your pc(stupid i know).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sdfjk2lkjlkjsljlksl[/nom]lawsuit in 3 2 1.....Even tho you have to own the game to use this, its still illegal to copy the rom onto your pc(stupid i know).[/citation]

only if there is drm, otherwise you are protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.