This Infographic Breaks Down Patent War Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
A broken system which is widely abused and no efforts whatsoever to even try to put a band-aid on the giant wound never-mind actually trying to solve the problem. If you think you shouldn't care and that it doesn't effect you, need I direct you to who pays for the courts? That's right, you and these long court battles cost god only knows how much tax payer dollars causing more funds to go there then where it would be better allocated.

So now whatever helpful service it would have went to instead got burned so corporations can
sue each other for billions of dollars in what resembles a circle jerk. But that is way more important than your kids getting new updated textbooks this year, right?

gamoniac

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I am surprised to see that there is no legal battle between Microsoft and Apple, at least at the present. Is that right?

@amk-aka-phantom, Tom's image is full size, but you do need to click on it a couple of times to get there.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]gamoniac[/nom]Tom's image is full size, but you do need to click on it a couple of times to get there.[/citation]

This is idiotic... click 3 times to open a single image? Dumb advertisement driven design...

dojan

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
You can see that Apple, ZTE, Huawei, Kodak, and Microsoft are all bearing the brunt of the worst of it.

While this is arguably true, they are also very obviously the worst culprits behind it all, along with Interdigital. Indeed, looking at this graph, the only companies with more that three outgoing lawsuits are Apple, Interdigital, Kodak and Microsoft.

misanthrope5688

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Things i get out of that graph:
Samsung and Google, being as freaking huge as they are, are suing only one company, and in Samsung's case, is Apple, which is an "eye for an eye" situation.
I feel Barnes & Noble is just there to be trolled by Microsoft.
Motorola Mobility: 17000 patents. That must have been fun for everyone.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]A broken system which is widely abused and no efforts whatsoever to even try to put a band-aid on the giant wound never-mind actually trying to solve the problem. If you think you shouldn't care and that it doesn't effect you, need I direct you to who pays for the courts? That's right, you and these long court battles cost god only knows how much tax payer dollars causing more funds to go there then where it would be better allocated. So now whatever helpful service it would have went to instead got burned so corporations cansue each other for billions of dollars in what resembles a circle jerk. But that is way more important than your kids getting new updated textbooks this year, right?[/citation]

The cost of running the courts is actually the least important issue of the patent system. I bet companies spend way more on their legal departments than governments spend on courts.

The real issue is, that the current patent system hampers competition more than it encourages innovation.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]This is idiotic... click 3 times to open a single image? Dumb advertisement driven design...[/citation]
Actually it's 2 times. It's worse than 1, agreed, but it's better than 3!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I bet there are entire legions of lawyers grinding away at the patent office looking for the holy grail of them all: The patent for "breathing".......

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Not surprised to see Apple with most of the lines[/citation]

Pay attention. The gray part of the chart is the "who is selling to who" section. So yes they do own them.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Not surprised to see Apple with most of the lines[/citation]

Pay attention. The gray part of the chart is the "who is selling to who" section. So yes they do own them.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]Pay attention. The gray part of the chart is the "who is selling to who" section. So yes they do own them.[/citation]

I just said they had the most lines? As in, they're the most active in the patent world?

Status
Not open for further replies.