This iPhone setting could be draining your battery and data — here's how to disable it

Aug 2, 2023
I'm using iOS 16.6 and there is NO setting of this name. Even a search yields nothing, so...

Peter Wolinski

Staff member
Jun 22, 2023
I have the latest iOS and there is no such option called “mobile assist”. However, there is “cellular” and wifi assist is located at the bottom.
Hi there Crystala. Thanks for the article feedback. "Mobile Service" is the menu name in the U.K. while "Cellular Service" is the menu name in the U.S. — they're the same menu and the difference just reflects the different terminology on both sides of the pond! Hope that clears things up. Step 1 and its description now reflect this :)

Reactions: CParsons

Peter Wolinski

Staff member
Jun 22, 2023
I'm using iOS 16.6 and there is NO setting of this name. Even a search yields nothing, so...
Hey JTP2. Sorry to hear that you can't see the menu setting. This does appear to be a problem on some devices and we're not yet sure why! But it seems to be an anomaly. We've tested this feature on a range of iPhones in both the U.S. and U.K., on iOS 16 and iOS 17, and all of them have the setting. Wi-Fi Assist was implemented in iOS 9, so is quite old and according to Apple should be appearing on all iOS devices since the iPhone 4S. Here is the Apple Support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296. I'm currently digging into this to try and find out why it isn't appearing on certain devices.

Reactions: CParsons