This is Cool: The Sharpie Liquid Graphite Pencil

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]aceofspades1[/nom]it seems that tomshardware likes to get their news from engadget.[/citation]

It's about time you realize that Tom's Hardware doesn't write news. The report it from other sites, gather what might be interesting or that they like. You come here for that, not for breaking edge news. Their news is secondary. The real goal here is general experiments on computer performance centered on gaming.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]avanpelt[/nom]As a chemical engineering student, I can say that not a single person in my graduating class (120+) regularly used a laptop for note-taking. Maybe in the humanities or social sciences, where notes are more "sentence-like", it is popular, but in the sciences there are far to many equations and pictures to make laptop note-taking effective.[/citation]

This. Math notes are just impossible to take (effectively) in class on a laptop.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I always use Pencils. I took many engineering, science and math courses, you learn to love pencils. I had a hard time using pens in my other courses and to this day at work I always reach for my pencil first. I have to have my Zebra M-402 if not that then a Mirado Black Warrior. I have tried $10 Pen pencils that write like a pencil but are ink and they just aren't the same.
I'll give this Sharpie a go though.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]It makes me feel very old to have to tell you all this, but "liquid lead" was invented and marketed decades ago ('60s?) when I was a kid. I don't remember why it flopped then. Maybe someday some "genius" will re-invent the slide rule. It does math without batteries.[/citation]

This is just ignorant. Is the TV the same as it was in the 1960s? 'Liquid Lead' (or whatever name they've given it) has been awful for the past 50 years. It typically stinks, smears, doesn't erase properly, etc. Just like TVs in the 1960s didn't have the clarity of HD.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]slickyfats[/nom]I always use Pencils. I took many engineering, science and math courses, you learn to love pencils. I had a hard time using pens in my other courses and to this day at work I always reach for my pencil first. I have to have my Zebra M-402 if not that then a Mirado Black Warrior. I have tried $10 Pen pencils that write like a pencil but are ink and they just aren't the same.I'll give this Sharpie a go though.[/citation]
I take notes in pens because they are easier to write clearer with. They glide better and such. I just scratch out what I don't want and re-write notes when I am studying (so I have a clean copy for the final)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]TOMS[/nom]Do (college/university) students even use pen and paper anymore, or are lecture halls filled with laptops
?[/citation]Marcus, you guys posted a video of a teacher, in a university or college, deep freezing a laptop and smashing it on the floor in anger of his students using laptops in his class.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]Wonder if they are okay to use on scantron sheets[/citation]

Thinking the same thing, I wonder if they are equal to say a regular #2 pencil or have the other variations.

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"At any rate, it's something I wish that I had when I was going to school." Er, dude, erasable pens? Like Erasor Mate? I've been using those since, well, if I told you it would just make me look incredibly old, but I think they've been around since the early 80's (almost as long as me!)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]Cool! I am always looking for new technology to do my crosswords with![/citation]
Real men do their crosswords in pen. While this device may eventually become permanent its short term reversibility puts it in the pencil bin as far as crosswords go.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]LoL. I was a ChemE too. Typing is not an option when there are so many equations, graphs, and symbols to write down. Good luck on your school work![/citation]
I always hated drawing lowercase Zeta which is used entirely too much in Thermo and P.Chem, eventually I just drew a vertical squiggle.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
I have to agree, at my university people rarely drag their laptops to class unless they have a presentation. I can't remember the last time I saw someone taking notes with the thing, although a year ago I had someone who used their laptop to record lectures and then post them online afterword. Seems like a voice recorder would be more useful.

Some professors use powerpoints in lecture which they post online and it is nice to follow along with the laptop, especially in large lecture halls. But still, all of my notes are pen and paper. I go through a full single subject spiral notebook for each class in a semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.