This is Cool: The Sharpie Liquid Graphite Pencil

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan156

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I go to a fairly prestigious UK university and take History, so you'd think there would be loads of laptops and such, but generally people write on paper, I alternate depending on mood though when I do use my laptop I'm certainly in the minority.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]avanpelt[/nom]As a chemical engineering student, I can say that not a single person in my graduating class (120+) regularly used a laptop for note-taking. Maybe in the humanities or social sciences, where notes are more "sentence-like", it is popular, but in the sciences there are far to many equations and pictures to make laptop note-taking effective.[/citation]

I agree.

That is why I got myself a "real" tablet computer. Yea.. it was kind of expensive, but I got to keep most of my notes on my tablets. I even use it to add comments on the papers (PDF files) I downloaded!.

The fun part is when I used my tablet for my presentation, I could actually draw marks during my powerpoint presentation like using a white/black board!...:D

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]aceofspades1[/nom]it seems that tomshardware likes to get their news from engadget.[/citation]
Once I figured that out...I go to Engadget for majority of my news and toms for their tech reviews...

mp562

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I agree, for engineering majors, it just won't work, but if you wanted to use a tablet and take notes, that might work. My physics teacher used to do the lecture on his tablet and later post the notes in PDF so it worked out for everyone.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]kamar6[/nom]It can't play Crysis[/citation][citation][nom]isamuelson[/nom]This joke is getting old.[/citation]
Agree, what's that supposed to mean anyway?

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]avanpelt[/nom]As a chemical engineering student, I can say that not a single person in my graduating class (120+) regularly used a laptop for note-taking. Maybe in the humanities or social sciences, where notes are more "sentence-like", it is popular, but in the sciences there are far to many equations and pictures to make laptop note-taking effective.[/citation]

I'm a chemical Engineering student as well and I rarely see laptops in class. Everyone has them, but for taking notes in Physics, Chem, Thermo, etc. A laptop isn't going to cut it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
uhm..... yeah.
bic has had erasable pens since the 80's, why is this news? and marcus, you still go to class? all my updater classes are during my work period in the day so i just have them video recorded and complete most of the class online. i do it all with my desktop gamming rig with crisis playing on the other monitor sometimes. i still like pencils tho. shading a doodle drawing with a pen sucks.

elrodvoss

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I sell these at OfficeMax. We got them as part of our Back To School season. I in-store-used 1 package (2 pack) to test them out.

I like their idea and attempt, but I have noted 2 issues.

1st: I believe the tip to be too thin. Its more like a 0.5mm, I would prefer a 0.7mm. Being that its so thin, it does not seem to "flow" smooth. You do get some fading spots like with ballpoints.

2nd: This may be the biggest issue with High Schools. When you use them on a scantron sheet the "lead" will wipe off.

Example: If I fill in a little circle, I can wipe off (with my finger) a good 75-80% of the lead, even after 10 mins. This may be an issue if you fill out one of those cards and hand it in, only to have it rubbing up against other cards and wiping off enough "lead" to make it unreadable.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i hope paper with pen/pencil will be obsolete soon, perhaps tablet pc with stylus could be the replacement for them :D

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This is very cool. I'd love to try this out.

In classes like criminology or computer science notetaking with a laptop is fine, but for classes like engineering, I'd imagine writing prevails for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.