This is How Crysis 2 Will Look and Run on Consoles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overdlord

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Ya the demo is a console video. Its got the slow turning speed of the console controller that drive me nuts to play. You can turn a dozens time around with a mouse before you can turn once with a game pad. And that player can hit nothing. You think for a demo they get a better player.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]demosthenes81[/nom]both the 360 and the ps3 can and do use AA and dedicated servers are terrible these days i hate to break it to many of u out there with counterstrike servers but hakkers are ruining pc games in multi 4 me[/citation]
Its easier to hack in a p2p then a Dedicated server that is administrated correctly.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Bluescreendeath[/nom]Hopefully it'll be better looking than Crysis 1 at VeryHigh or with the UltraHigh gfx mods. If they had to dumb down the PC version of Crysis 2 cuz of the console....grrrrr[/citation]
Since Crysis 2 will be using DX11, it's actually the reverse. They took the PC version, and dumbed it down for consoles.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
This certainly looks great.Except for the draw distance and particle effects in explosions.But that's the limitations of consoles and not the fault of Crytek.The physics effects are much more than the first Crysis and the look cool!Though I'm eagerly waiting for the PC version and I expect the best graphics from it.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]shening[/nom]ahmmm 360 and ps3 dont have AA and that picture most definitely has AA so i dont see how that picture can be how consoles are gonna look.[/citation]

Uhh.. 360 has pretty much free 4xAA, proof here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I must say, for a console gane it looks very well done. Although it is most probably running 720p, what some companies try and do with that is horrific. Crytek know graphics and it seems they have figured out optimizing now as well.

If there is one thing that Crysis didn't have is very much optimizations, even today we are just breaking the 60fps barrier at FullHD on less crazy setups.

If it runs this relatively well on PC we should have an even more graphically good game and maybe some really good extreme cfgs to really crank it up.

perrik

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I'm not sure if the picture is meant to be a reference how it's gonna look like. The headline was probably only related to the video. I'd also be surprised if it would run in 1080p on the PS3 to be honest.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]perrik[/nom]I'm not sure if the picture is meant to be a reference how it's gonna look like. The headline was probably only related to the video. I'd also be surprised if it would run in 1080p on the PS3 to be honest.[/citation]

PS3 has a less superior GPU compared to the 360, even then the CryEngine 3 doesn't take full advantage of Cell, but because it has a more efficient processor the game will run slightly better on the PS3 than the 360 because Crysis depends on not only a good GPU, but also a tough CPU, which the PS3 has more headroom for compared to the 360's CPU

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]I have to say that I was not overly impressed at all. Yes the 'special effects' look good but they seem to have really botched the basic general visuals. There were major graphic glitches, errors and clipping going on, especially in the first half of the video.....[/citation]

What Tomshardware fail to specifiy is that this is a pre-alpha version of the game code.

Wait till it gets to Beta, then you'll see what the game is likely to be like when it comes out.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]PS3 has a less superior GPU compared to the 360, even then the CryEngine 3 doesn't take full advantage of Cell, but because it has a more efficient processor the game will run slightly better on the PS3 than the 360 because Crysis depends on not only a good GPU, but also a tough CPU, which the PS3 has more headroom for compared to the 360's CPU[/citation]

Don't forget that the PS3 has the GPU that was the top of it's time (the 360 was the previous generation), and anyone can also access the PS3's CBE for graphics chores as well.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]overdlord[/nom]Ya the demo is a console video. Its got the slow turning speed of the console controller that drive me nuts to play. You can turn a dozens time around with a mouse before you can turn once with a game pad. And that player can hit nothing. You think for a demo they get a better player.[/citation]

I rather turn naturally than an unnatural. Besides, there are some games that will turn quicker if the devs allow for it.

nionloz

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]fokissed[/nom]win[/citation]

Depends what type of anti aliasing.

And there is no "performance hit free AA" for the 360 and wiki certainly doesn't prove anything especially involving 16 year olds arguing over consoles.

nionloz

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Consulting the footage and it doesn't look better than any other multiplatform shooter on consoles. Hopefully the PC is better. A lot better.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Lamiel[/nom]I'm still afraid that the PC version will be crippled by console compromises... The original Crysis is one of my all-time favorite games, and I'd love to see the franchise be a success, but if Crysis 2 doesn't have both quick save and dedicated servers, I'll be boycotting.[/citation]
You can't boycott a one-time purchase. You boycott things you would do on a regular basis. You can boycott riding the bus. You can boycott restaurants. You can even boycott stores you would normally visit often. You could even boycott an online service. The point of a boycott is that the loss of your continued patronage hurts the business. Boycotting a video game is like skipping jury duty, they miss you once, and then no one gives a shit cuz they know you wouldn't have shown anyway. Do you really think that the workers at crytek are gonna have trouble sleeping at night cuz they lost a couple PC gamers after they gained millions of console gamers? Just say you won't buy the game, because that's all your doing, is not buying the game. The point of boycotting is to make a statement. You're making a statement alright. "I'm an idiot." And you're making it to everyone on the internet, not to Crytek.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]nionloz[/nom]Depends what type of anti aliasing.And there is no "performance hit free AA" for the 360 and wiki certainly doesn't prove anything especially involving 16 year olds arguing over consoles.[/citation]

Actually, wiki has a huge workforce that spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week ensuring that every single article posted on their site has trustworthy sources for every tidbit of information it contains, and if said articles do not have trustworthy sources (or are fake postings) they get deleted immediately. So yes, wiki actually does prove things. Many things.

amrsss

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
i call it BS, how is it Console when at 2:12 you can clearly see that he's using mouse to aim... he run out of space, lifted mouse and move more to the right..

G

Most of the games that look better on the consoles is that their were designed for the consoles, then they were just ported for the PC without taking any advantages of higher AA quality, more advantages lightning and other techniques available for the PC, just like Resident Evil 4.

Crysis 2 gives the possibility to use the most advances techniques capable by each platform. This is a mind blowing game engine and hope they keep up creating innovative systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.