This Japanese Vending Machine Dishes Out Free Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow thats very cool! I wish we had something like this (other then starbucks REQUIRING you to pay 10 bucks for a cup of coffee and 15 minutes of internet)

Its a nice way to advertise, I wouldn't mind seeing an ad or 2 for free wifi :) (as long as they are harmless like youtube ads)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This is great! More Wi-Fi, less 3G crap, Wi-Fi provides far superior speeds. Granting access for 30 minutes is great, too... but I bet it's based on the MAC. It's possible to spoof the MAC and connect again, I bet :)

G

3G in US is a joke (bay area santa clara) 3G in europe works as intended that is for normal use you dont have a problem with 3G

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]there is no such thing as free....somehow down the line customers pay for it[/citation]
Advertisement - it states it in the article - companies pay to get on their home screen.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I actually like this idea, Not creating your typical login from places like Caribou or Starbucks, They can simply browser redirect to the first page opened to local adverts. Its amazing someone didnt think of that sooner! I just think i'll buy one of your sodas, thirsty or not if i ever come across one

G

free wifi service from vending machine that is japan. free condom in pharmacy that is in our country. will. I rather to pay for condom and get more free wifi service in the public. a voice from a ture geek.

Nimmist

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom] It's possible to spoof the MAC and connect again, I bet[/citation]

It states in the article you are free to reconnect after your 30 minutes are up, no need for spoofing.

However, once their time runs out, users can simply reconnect for another thirty minutes.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]286intel[/nom]free wifi service from vending machine that is japan. free condom in pharmacy that is in our country. will. I rather to pay for condom and get more free wifi service in the public. a voice from a ture geek.[/citation]
So.... you are saying you'll never need a condom?
Besides, trojan and Lifestyles are better quality.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That is a 'cool' (pun intended) idea and has a lot of practical potential.
Provide a log on homepage with local links to services, maps and events, sponsored
obviously by the same, could pay for the cost of installation, operation and a nice profit.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Advertisement - it states it in the article - companies pay to get on their home screen.[/citation]
that's not enough....like i said, we pay for it....here is a good example.....cell phone carriers install bloatware on the phones, yet we get them half price or even less on contract...we pay for it because we give up the option of legally uninstalling them....i know that we can root phones and get rid of the bloatware....it should not be installed in the first place....get my point?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]that's not enough....like i said, we pay for it....here is a good example.....cell phone carriers install bloatware on the phones, yet we get them half price or even less on contract...we pay for it because we give up the option of legally uninstalling them....i know that we can root phones and get rid of the bloatware....it should not be installed in the first place....get my point?[/citation]
Not sure I know what you are talking about. I understand the whole part of how phone carriers work, but what does that have to do with the WiFi vending machines? Are you saying the vending machines will install bloatware on your phone when you use it?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
nvm[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Not sure I know what you are talking about. I understand the whole part of how phone carriers work, but what does that have to do with the WiFi vending machines? Are you saying the vending machines will install bloatware on your phone when you use it?[/citation]

nvm....it was just an example....how about this....free wifi at the expense of your privacy, get it?.....how secure do you think these so called free hot spots are?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]nvmnvm....it was just an example....how about this....free wifi at the expense of your privacy, get it?.....how secure do you think these so called free hot spots are?[/citation]
As safe as every other free wifi you will find anywhere, meaning not safe at all, but then again it is open and free so you get what you pay for.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Wish we had that in the states.

But until then I'll be tethering to my 4g android smartphone, I even got WPA2 so I'll be even safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.