This Optical Disc Stores Your Data in "Rock"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
this is cheap enough and durable enough to replace tape backup, when/if a bluray version is dropped. Easy, cheap archival for business.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Prescott_666[/nom]Archival DVDs are supposed to last for a hundred years, but actually last for about 5. Will these Thousand year DVDs last for 50? They can say it will last for any period they like, if they think that they will be dead, or otherwise unavailable when the DVDs start failing.I won't believe it until they do last for a thousand years, but obviously even if they do, I won't be around to see it.[/citation]

Strange, i've have CDs that are about 12 years old and they still work...( FreeSpace 2 FTW! :D )

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
"Strange, i've have CDs that are about 12 years old and they still work...( FreeSpace 2 FTW!)"

CD/DVDs that have commercial software on them are made with a different process.

Do you have any 12 year old CDs that you burned yourself? If you do, give them a try and see if you can read them.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I imagine a little bird from the flintstones in there with a hammer and a chisel pounding away storing the data..... just like Fred had on his camera.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]woohooo, lots of people raiding the drive's lasers, since higher than 5mW lasers are illegal in the US! (although in Asia you can still get your hands on 1Watt lasers very cheap)![/citation]

that law is in regards to hadn held lasers numb nuts LOL sorry jsut feeling mean today .. but seriously that law onoly applies to "open end laser equipment" -ie: lasers that can directed at some one's eye sucha s a gun sight laser or little key chain laser. lasers in enclosed electronics can and do get alot more pwoer , then there are lasers that are used for medical surgery and university applications taht are even stronger.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Prescott_666[/nom]CD/DVDs that have commercial software on them are made with a different process. Do you have any 12 year old CDs that you burned yourself? If you do, give them a try and see if you can read them.[/citation]

Didn't know that...i didn't burn CDs when i was 6, but maybe my dad did. I think there are some CDs from that time lying about, but it'll be pretty difficult to tell...will give them a shot though...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]My concern is with the HEAT obviously inside my tower, Also I think I have a pretty good Power Supply but it also stipulates that it has a bigger power consumption, so what are this drives Power specs requirements?[/citation]

Come on, power consumption is relatively low for an optical drive. Can't be more than your graphics card at full load. Same with the temperature. You're not burning 24/7 the same thing, you're burning ONCE. Or are you ?

G

Commend about heat in the tower due to drive is mute. The burner drive is only being offered in external form-factor. Likely because of the increased power draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.