Question Those of you with expensive smart phones, do they last?

Nov 5, 2020
I bought a Motorola Moto G4 plus about 3 years ago I paid about $380 for it and it was good when I first got it ( as all phones are) but has started to slow down a bit as of late, did a factory reset but still much the same. I was wondering for those of you who own say a $1000 + phone like a Samsung S have you noticed say 2 or 3 years after you brought it is it still as fast as when you first got it? There's always reviews on latest phones but the trouble with them is the reviewer will only use them for a few days, the best reviews are customer reviews where they have used them for an extended period of time.

Does anyone know if there is much difference in general phone speed between say a $400 phone or a $1000 one? I had a play with my Dad's Samsung S that was a new model and it seemed to be faster than mine.

Sep 26, 2020
When my iPhone5 was brand new, it's power button failed within days and it took Apple five weeks to fix it. My $35 Alcatal One Touch Pop 2 was a way better phone and also a great mifi hotspot. I sold the iPhone.

I now have an octa core metal bodied paper weight with a permanently black screen; it is a Samsung Galaxy S7 32GB which cannot be repaired economically. A latent defect and Samsung won't fix it. They didn't even quote bur an inde repairman told me not to bother.

My next phone will be a $20 feature phone.

james.m

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
I bought a Motorola Moto G4 plus about 3 years ago I paid about $380 for it and it was good when I first got it ( as all phones are) but has started to slow down a bit as of late, did a factory reset but still much the same. I was wondering for those of you who own say a $1000 + phone like a Samsung S have you noticed say 2 or 3 years after you brought it is it still as fast as when you first got it? There's always reviews on latest phones but the trouble with them is the reviewer will only use them for a few days, the best reviews are customer reviews where they have used them for an extended period of time.

Does anyone know if there is much difference in general phone speed between say a $400 phone or a $1000 one? I had a play with my Dad's Samsung S that was a new model and it seemed to be faster than mine.
My take on this is whether it is $380 phone or $1000 + phone they eventually looses its performance. It is because all the chips (cpu, gpu, ram, rom) has its own life cycle. After certain time it looses its full capacity. Same with battery. It gets old and eventually cannot deliver as much power as required by the cpu and in turn makes the phone slower.

Beacuse expensive ($1000) phone have faster cpu than mid range ($380) phones, it might take longer say 4 to 5 years to reach that point where it becomes slow.

Sep 26, 2020
My take on this is whether it is $380 phone or $1000 + phone they eventually looses its performance. It is because all the chips (cpu, gpu, ram, rom) has its own life cycle. After certain time it looses its full capacity. Same with battery. It gets old and eventually cannot deliver as much power as required by the cpu and in turn makes the phone slower.

Beacuse expensive ($1000) phone have faster cpu than mid range ($380) phones, it might take longer say 4 to 5 years to reach that point where it becomes slow.
Chips don't become slower or weaker but the operating system and other software become bloated, taking more processing power and that is why devices slow down. It is true that batteries lose capacity but this has very little effect on lower capacity phones.

Sep 26, 2020
there is always the possiblility of getting a lemon, no matter the price. In general, there is no difference in quality between a cheap or an expensive phone.
It is less hurtful when you are disabled and a cheap phone fails; but my cheap ones never failed and the pukka smartphones all did, so i disgaree with you, based not on opinion but hard experience.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
It is less hurtful when you are disabled and a cheap phone fails; but my cheap ones never failed and the pukka smartphones all did, so i disgaree with you, based not on opinion but hard experience.

and my post was based on experience too in addition to what I read in all the different tech help forums I belong to. I never had a phone failed me, whether cheap or expensive. I usually keep them around two years. There is always a risk no matter the phone. Before buying a phone, make sure you can afford it and that includes the price of repairing it or replacing it if lost or broken.

Sep 26, 2020
and my post was based on experience too in addition to what I read in all the different tech help forums I belong to. I never had a phone failed me, whether cheap or expensive. I usually keep them around two years. There is always a risk no matter the phone. Before buying a phone, make sure you can afford it and that includes the price of repairing it or replacing it if lost or broken.
All people don't have the means to be as comfortable as you seem to be. It seems as if the bulk of the global population, and how we survive, will never be understood by a few privileged ones. Both my "very smartphones" were gifts as I am disabled because of disability arising from a career injury at a young age. You are not the only one belonging to forums and understanding tech, by the way. The more expensive phones are more prone to break; any experienced repair person can attest to that. It is simple logic: the more complex anything is, the higher the risk of failure. And the consumer often is the lab rat. I speak from over forty years of extensive experience in IT and I'm still current with my expertise. I keep it that way.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020

forgot to mention, what doesn't slow down with age. Most phones will start slowing after a couple of years. It is because the battery and hardware getting old, because of apps and os updates and more. Newer phones don't have the wear and tear older phones have. give your dads phone another year or two. It too will seem slow when even newer phones are released.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
All people don't have the means to be as comfortable as you seem to be. It seems as if the bulk of the global population, and how we survive, will never be understood by a few privileged ones. Both my "very smartphones" were gifts as I am disabled because of disability arising from a career injury at a young age. You are not the only one belonging to forums and understanding tech, by the way. The more expensive phones are more prone to break; any experienced repair person can attest to that. It is simple logic: the more complex anything is, the higher the risk of failure. And the consumer often is the lab rat. I speak from over forty years of extensive experience in IT and I'm still current with my expertise. I keep it that way.

Just because you had some bad experiences doe not mean that is the norm.

Nov 5, 2020
forgot to mention, what doesn't slow down with age. Most phones will start slowing after a couple of years. It is because the battery and hardware getting old, because of apps and os updates and more. Newer phones don't have the wear and tear older phones have. give your dads phone another year or two. It too will seem slow when even newer phones are released.

I did a factory reset of phone and there was no change in it's speed so I guess it's just general hardware performance decrease, alternatively I could just learn to be more patient but anything less than lightning quick when I'm jumping in between applications or opening new tabs is unacceptable to me.

When I reinstall windows OS on PCs I've had in the past that have started to slow down after 3 years or so it makes a huge difference not so with phones. It's just seems that phone performance decreases far quicker than PCs perhaps with time this will change.

I just think $1000 is too much to spend on a phone, I'd rather just settle for a mid range one that does the job even if not quite as well as it's expensive counterparts.