Thoughts On This Toshiba

As long as the programs you use can scale the menu / icons then you should be okay. Other wise it will be very hard to see.

You should also know that the higher the screen resolution the more energy it will use so battery life will be affected by it. If battery life is not a big issue, then don't let that stop you from buying the laptop.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
The 5500U is probably not what you'd expect an i7 to be - it is a slightly clocked-up i5-5200U with 2 cores and 4 threads, and focused more on power efficiency and battery life than performance.

If you are an avid multitasker or power user, you'd probably want to go for one of the HQ i7's with 4 cores. Otherwise, I'd just spring for the i5-5200U - probably priced a bit lower and almost equal in power.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/6135-intel-core-i5-5200u-i7-5500u/

That WiFi issue mentioned in the Best Buy review might be worth investigating before making a purchase. I bought a Dell that consistently dropped Wifi connections for the first year I had it. Drove me crazy. Dell eventually updated their drivers to fix the issue.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
One thing I can say about Toshiba laptops, though - they usually have amazing screens. My Core 2 Duo sure did at the time. Battery life/the batteries themselves (overall lifespan) tend to be a downfall of their products.

Tyler Yaccarino

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Better graphics card; 1080p screen instead of 4K. Depends what your priorities are. The Toshiba will make a great multimedia/multitasking PC; the HP may be able to play a few games on medium settings, though that's still a pretty weak card.