Thoughts on Using "Old News" in Social Posts?

Jul 17, 2018
In my experience, I've always gravitated towards using "timely" posts. By that I mean not only relevant to news that's trending, but also up-to-date/current news.

For example: if I'm posting something about the World Cup and I find a decent article about soccer that was written this year (2018), but there's a better one written in 2016, I'll still use the more recent one by default.

Are there any reports or research that's been published to argue against using older articles in a social posting? I wonder if it would affect engagement or user credibility.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Solution
The only reason to reference an original post is for credit to the poster for an idea, and the only reasons for using a number of social media posts or articles related to a particular substantive focus would be to either: show how opinions or attitudes changed over time, or to discuss a particular dichotomy of opinions or views that might polarise comments. the latest or final story (if accurate) should summarise the state of events on anything ... unless it is fake news. Some research of fake news would be an excellent study focus for a thesis in the communications field.
The only reason to reference an original post is for credit to the poster for an idea, and the only reasons for using a number of social media posts or articles related to a particular substantive focus would be to either: show how opinions or attitudes changed over time, or to discuss a particular dichotomy of opinions or views that might polarise comments. the latest or final story (if accurate) should summarise the state of events on anything ... unless it is fake news. Some research of fake news would be an excellent study focus for a thesis in the communications field.

Solution