Three Jailed Over iPad 2 Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So this is one of the South Park episodes come (nearly) true. Chinese prison - might not escape with all your organs...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"Despite the drastic measures Apple will go to keep new products a secret until they launch, it’s still surprising to hear three people have been jailed for leaking information regarding the iPad 2’s design."

If a design is supposed to be a secret, loyality is a major cornerstone and if i were payed as low as the Foxconn workers and worked under the same condition i wouldn't have much of that in store. Maybe the writers means by stating that the bitten green fruit take "drastic steps" that they have now installed guardtowers with snipers, cuffed all employees to their benches (will also prevent suicide jumping statistics) and routinely do internal "probing" to check for parts with a brown rubber gloves!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]umm...really? Can't think this would be illegal only if sensitive data was compromised that would hurt Apple.[/citation]
[citation][nom]gurboura[/nom]Another mark against Apple.[/citation]
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]You know their Government deep down doesn't give a shit that they did it, but because Apple has them in their pocket books, and they rely upon those money grubbers for jobs and revenue, they were forced to please Daddy Warbucks (aka Steve Jobs).[/citation]

you guys seriously have no freaking clue about the state of buisness these days especailly in tech buisness. Even Leaked specs of a new product can damage a company drastically. because competiors can quickly rush somethign to the market with high specs and undercut your market befroe you even havea product out the door.

in short it IS a dog eat dog industry , and even the slightest leak can potentially cost a company millions of dollars and that is nothing to snort at , these guys got off easy if youa sk me.

now before you go bashing me , I'm no apple fan. but i even less of a fan of peopel cosing countelss others to loose thier jobs , and that is exactly what happens whena company looses lot's of money from early spec leaks , countless people get laid off to cover loses taht were caused by trhee people , all because they didn't think leaking spec early would hurt the buisness. well it does.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, I don't support those guys. While the information was about the physical dimensions, it was secret and some punishment is in place for leaking it. Can't say if the punishment awarded is too much.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
COME ON SERIOUSLY APPLE?!?! These people are over there doing slave laber for $2.00 a day 20 hours a day, commiting suicide, they are desperate people, and now they are sending them to prison over a few leaks? Who cares if it's a few details leaked? Happens all the time and it doesn't hurt anyone it draws attention and hype, it's like free advertising. At least they didn't hack in and steal passwords or sell credit card numbers of customers.. Sheesh.. I'm done buying apple products. Matter of fact from this day forward I'M banning them from my house.. MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY, thats all they care about. Don't even care about the small guys. Yeah, it's wrong what they did, but look at apple they treat there employees who bust there backs for them...

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]You know their Government deep down doesn't give a shit that they did it, but because Apple has them in their pocket books, and they rely upon those money grubbers for jobs and revenue, they were forced to please Daddy Warbucks (aka Steve Jobs).[/citation]

Pretty much.

Last time I checked, the have NDAs and when broken, they just don't get to see new tech before others. But jail?

I think thats insane.

"What are you in for?"

"Oh I leaked info on Apples iPad 2."

"Damn. Better not mess with you."

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Come on seriously Communist China!!! Let them go! I have a hard time believing this has anything to do with Apple. If they are in Jail it's because of Chinese laws that they were prosecuted under.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
if you are truly inovative then photos woll never hurt your business as competitors wont be able to copy it, for example companies like intel will tell the public what they will be releasing before they release it, and even what they are working on, the reason why it doesn't hurt them is because they know that are releasing a product that the competition does not even know how to make.

The reason why this hurts apple is because they do not push the limits of technology, they simply take readily available tech and package it in a shiny case and sell it with a huge markup. (which means having the specs leaked will me the competitors will simply go like "her apple is making the ipad 3 with these specs, bring me parts bin 4,5,7,8, 9, 13, and add the polishing wheel to my dremel.

True innovation meqns that if you have a working product in the testing phases and info about it is leaked, the competition wont be able to copy you until they have gone through the R&D needed also.

For example suppose you went back in time to the 40's and showed off your iphone as well as the specs and datasheet, how long will it be until the phone makers from the 40's are copying your device?

True innovation is the releasing of a item that has not been created by anyone else yet. Meaning the competition cant copy you based on looks and specs as they will need to develop technology to add function to those looks and specs.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
you do know that going to jail in china means a death sentence?

They will be forced to work dangerous jobs, maybe mine coal, work with toxic chemicals, and be worked to death in those 12 or more months. Also they will find ways towards the end of the sentence to say they assaulted the guards and add years to the sentence. They will die in prison and that is that.Maybe they will release them when they are too sick to work so they can go home to die.

So apple and foxcon are killing people.

And i was looking at spending my "fido dollars" on a new iphone. Looks like it will be another motorolla or something else. I never owned a apple product before, and now it looks like i will try not to ever own one.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]you guys seriously have no freaking clue about the state of buisness these days especailly in tech buisness. Even Leaked specs of a new product can damage a company drastically. because competiors can quickly rush somethign to the market with high specs and undercut your market befroe you even havea product out the door. in short it IS a dog eat dog industry , and even the slightest leak can potentially cost a company millions of dollars and that is nothing to snort at , these guys got off easy if youa sk me. now before you go bashing me , I'm no apple fan. but i even less of a fan of peopel cosing countelss others to loose thier jobs , and that is exactly what happens whena company looses lot's of money from early spec leaks , countless people get laid off to cover loses taht were caused by trhee people , all because they didn't think leaking spec early would hurt the buisness. well it does.[/citation]

And you're also missing the fact that it was only dimensions. Losing a little ground in the after-market case sector isn't gonna hurt them. Everyone knows about what size it's gonna be. They just changed some of the hardware. Same iOS. Same basic dimensions. All it means it people will have more options out of the gate, instead of having to buy MORE apple stuff to personalize it. Don't get me wrong, I hate Apple. I really do. I hate their company, the business practices they have/enforce, etc. Do I knock their products? Not really. I have a 6gb Ipod. You know, first gen. It STILL works with most of today's accessories. Why? Same basic Ideas behind it. That's fine. Just don't Jail people for telling us what we already know.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AMD_pitbull[/nom]And you're also missing the fact that it was only dimensions. Losing a little ground in the after-market case sector isn't gonna hurt them. Everyone knows about what size it's gonna be. They just changed some of the hardware. Same iOS. Same basic dimensions. All it means it people will have more options out of the gate, instead of having to buy MORE apple stuff to personalize it. Don't get me wrong, I hate Apple. I really do. I hate their company, the business practices they have/enforce, etc. Do I knock their products? Not really. I have a 6gb Ipod. You know, first gen. It STILL works with most of today's accessories. Why? Same basic Ideas behind it. That's fine. Just don't Jail people for telling us what we already know.[/citation]

it's not a matter of what was leaked , it's amtter that any inforamation was leaked , it's dcalled corperate espionage. further more it's not apple sensd these giuys to prison. again i'm no apple fan i f---ing hate apple. but i also hate peopel giving me two thumbs down simply becasue my stance seems in defense of apple , which is not teh case , i'm defending the laws, granted China has f---ed up laws , but it is there laws not ours , and it's not our right to dictate what thier laws should be.

as for the lossing money thing, teh article DID say that the data was used to producing cases and such , apple likely produces cases of thier own and like all "controlling" parties in any tech buisness they like to be the first ones to make a "case" for thier product and this complete;y undercuts them on that end.

again let me re-iterate , i hate apple with every fiber of my body , but i seriously think you guys ( not pointing any sepcific fingers here ) are lettting your apple hate , eat at your logical thinking process.

this sort of leak does hurt a buisness , sure it advertises and give publicity for a product , but at the same time it also lets 3rd parties produce a potentially essintial product ahead of apple getting thier own product released. (that being a carry case for instence or a protective shield for the screen, both minor product s that apple probably makes a good bit of money off of them selves. ).

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I do not support corporate espionage of any sort. The punishment is harsh that they are getting. People tend to think American prisons are bad. It can get worse, much worse. China is one of those that are much worse. I would rather be put to death than have to live in those conditions and that treatment.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
These employees should have more ethics and should have known that the punishment will be way more than what they will earn in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.