Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Hello everyone

So i have this laptop Lenovo g5080
i5 5200 2.2ghz
4gb ram
windows 8.1 single language 64 bit
amd radeon hd 8500m/ intel hd graphics 5500

So my problem is that i usually play league of legends a pc multiplayer game which is not that heavy would come under medium range graphics moba game. I play with medium settings at a stable 60fps never goes up for down.
Yesterday out of the blue suddenly during the game my fps kept dropping to 20 after every 10 seconds and it was almost unplayable. I assume this is my laptop throttling as i had an old one which did that when it got overheated. What was strange was that after a couple of games i just restarted my pc, scanned for malwares, blew into my heat sink and it was fine again.
Till now. the same issue came up again. Out of curiosity i took out my chargers plug and suddenly its fine. On battery it was giving me 60 fps constant without any throttling or fps drops.

Can someone please tell me whats going on?

Solution
The heat from charging the battery+powering the laptop+the heat the laptop is making could just be making it throttle. Check your cpu and gpu clockspeeds and temperatures to know for sure.

Danbuscus25

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
The heat from charging the battery+powering the laptop+the heat the laptop is making could just be making it throttle. Check your cpu and gpu clockspeeds and temperatures to know for sure.

Solution

AsadHabib

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
i checked gpu temps they were going above 85. strangely they were fine after i did all of the above mentioned stuff and stable on charge 60fps for about 4 hours of straight gaming.

But today this thing just started again. I mean it doesnt always throttle, its done so 2 times now. Any solution youd recommend? Maybe check for dust?

Danbuscus25

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Thats actually a difficult thing sometimes, especially in laptops. You can check your BIOS for fan speed options, but if there are none, you can do a quick google search for fan speed control software. The most popular is speedfan, though I hate it, it is hard to use, and I have never actually gotten it to control my fans.