Time Warner Launches Wideband Too

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents. Nothing could possibly upload to you that fast. Upload speed is so much more important for... well, pretty much everything, yet it's always so low...I wouldn't even consider paying $70 for 50down/2up Mb/s. I would, however for 20down/10up.[/citation]
You have obviously never downloaded from a decent newsgroup provider.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Honestly, there's no reason for 50Mb/s a second. The highest I've ever gotten was 7Mb/s off a few torrents. Nothing could possibly upload to you that fast. Upload speed is so much more important for... well, pretty much everything, yet it's always so low...I wouldn't even consider paying $70 for 50down/2up Mb/s. I would, however for 20down/10up.[/citation]

Your a moron! "Upload to you" no you idiot its download to you. Upload means you are sending to the server, download means you are receiving it.

frostfire626

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
[quote user="bad_code"]
Your a moron! "Upload to you" no you idiot its download to you. Upload means you are sending to the server, download means you are receiving it.
[/quote]

No, sir, it is you who has diminished mental capacity. Supertrek32 means that the source he is downloading from has a limited upload rate. The source's upload rate probably will not keep up with his max download rate unless multiple downloads are initiated at once.

G

Cable I am shocked that they are not dead with all the effort Verizon has put into their Fios campaign. I mean their lowest speed 15mb DL and 5mb UL at not even $50 a month compare to what Time Warner is trying to do...

G

Last time i checked the business class for 5 down 1 up cost a whopping 250$..... Screw tw cable, waiting for FIOS to come.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]What is the point of faster connections when ISPs put caps on how much data you can download in a month? I have received two threatening letters from Comcast about my internet usage since I started my subscription to Netflix(I use it a lot) and since I have started working on my majors courses.On top of Netflix, I play quite a bit on Xbox Live, I download a lot of movies(legally through Xbox Live Marketplace), I also download(purchased) music through Amazon, iTunes, and other places. I easily use up more than 250 GB in a month, but apparently Comcast dislikes this. Of course, I simply wrote and called back with my own threats and they have left me alone for the time being.Telling people how much they are allowed to use a product they pay for is asinine and should be squelched by the U.S Government. I am vehemently against "big government", but they do have the right to regulate and the FCC needs to do their job and stop these artificial caps.Hell, if the government is going to tell me I cannot smoke flavored cigarettes, then they sure as hell can fucking tell telecommunication corporations not to shit-can customers that move a lot of data.[/citation]

TW and other cable provider is not regulated by the FCC. They are not consider utilities company. So, they can do or say whatever they want.

G

You guys make me laugh. In New Zealand we cannot get uncapped broadband. some people live in areas where ADSL2 is available but everywhere else it's plain old ADSL so the average internet connection here would be 4Mbps down and 128Kbup!. Plans range from 1GB (NZ$20)up to (NZ$150) 150GB. There are plans that are technically uncapped, but are throttled to the point where they are only 3 or 4 times better than dialup. So before you all start complaining that you are getting a raw deal from these big companies, sit back for a moment and try to see how well you have it.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Um.... how about 50Mb/s downstream with 20Mb/s upstream? Cuz Fios already has that. And for $64.99/month you can get 25Mb/ down with 15Mb/s up.

And its pure FTTP. Time Warner is just a tad behind there.

G

time warner is shady, very shady. i read somewhere it's going to cost 100/mth. i think its going to be even more expensive. they know they have a choke hold on some areas and not shy about overcharging and slipping in hidden fees any way they can. i would rather do business with any number of tourist trap electronics stores in NYC over Time Warner any day, that is if I had a choice.

G

The claim of "Manhattan below 79th Steet" is not accurate. Here in the central village I am told I cannot yet get the service. Time Warner should really update their info to say parts of Manhattan below 79th street.

At least they did not try and convince me that 4th street is not below 79th.

Status
Not open for further replies.