Time Warner's digital converters and DVRs.

mpbnice

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Time Warner's digital converters and DVRs. I just hooked up Time Warner's new digital adapter to two of my TVs and discovered that my out-of-date VCRs are now unusable. Can I hook up a DVR while using the digital converter?

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Are you sure they're no longer usable? Their installation guides seem to indicate that you can easily hook them up to go through a VCR or DVD player:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/tv/DCI/cisco-easy-setup-guide.pdf

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/tv/DCI/cisco170-easy-setup-guide.pdf

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/tv/DCI/digital-adapter-setupguide-moto-arris-eng-esp.pdf

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/digitalcon/can-i-record-my-favorite-progr.html

Double-check the connections are correct (wall outlet ==> digital adapter ==> VCR ==> TV), & double-check that a) the digital adapter is activated, b) that you selected the correct input on your TV set (i.e. set it to HDMI if you're using an HDMI cable from the VCR to the TV, or set it to Channel 3 or 4 if you're using a coaxial cable), & c) that your VCR is still able to play & record existing VHS tapes to the TV (if the VCR is busted up & won't play prerecorded programs anymore, it's time for a new VCR).

If all else fails, contact TWC tech support to make sure that there's not a problem with the service and/or digital adapter.

mpbnice

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

mpbnice

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
You can hook them up but you cannot use the timer record because the VCR acts basically as a conduit from the digital recorder to the TV. The VCR records whatever is on the TV. You cannot change the VCR channel, you have to keep it on either 3 or 4. The only way you can use the timer recording is to program each entry to either channel 3 or 4, and change the TV channel to whatever you want recorded, which is not exactly convenient and you cannot watch one program and record another. I had long conversations with the supposed tech support people about not being able to record what I wanted and they sent two techs out who told me I would have to get a DVR. The only thing they could do for me was program my remotes, which I could have done myself.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
In other words...not too different from when the broadcast signals went from analog to digital, & you could no longer use an old VCR with analog-only channel capability to record programs.

Barring finding a new VCR recorder that has a built-in, cable-compatible digital tuner, your best bet to be able to record 1 program & watch a 2nd program simultaneously is this:
-- Connect the wall jack line to a 2-way splitter
-- Run the line from each output of the splitter to a separate digital adapter (#1 & #2)
-- Connect #1 directly to the TV set
-- Connect #2 to the VCR, then connect the VCR to the TV set

Your VCR will be able to time-program as normal (as long as you set it to Channel 3/4), you'll just have to make sure digital adapter #2 is set to the correct channel beforehand. Biggest issues, apart from the extra cost, are remembering to set the channel before going to bed/watching another program, switching channels to catch consecutive programs that are on different channels, & dealing with only being able to record 1 channel at a time while at work/out to dinner/on vacation/etc.

mpbnice

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

mpbnice

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Right now, I'm doing the channel setting thing, which is fine if you don't forget, or like you said, you can't set the channel ahead of time.

It looks like my best bet is to go with a DVR and I'm trying to get info about them. So far, I've priced FIOPTICS and I'm trying to get a quote from Time Warner, which seems to be difficult.

Thanks for your help!