TIME's Top 100 Most Influential People Includes Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think Times definition of influential is a stretch... I think they need to rename the list "The Most Talked About" Putting athletes and actors ahead of a group that literally has in some way affected (mostly negatively) hundreds of thousands of people and could have been a major part in SOPA getting put on the shelf doesn't make sense to me.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
"MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME."

I am surprised, that few of the Anonymous Time-Top-100 news articles mention that this isn't the first time people involved in Anonymous have crossed paths with the Most Influential People list. I suppose the distinction lies in that the above was not really achieved under the "Anonymous" label.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Scientology was refused its "church" status in the UK and is not recognised as a religion :)

Hubbard won his bet with Heinlein that he could start a new "religion" and get rich from it I would give him that xD

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]HEXiT[/nom]nice to see colbert made the list... i dont see how obama was so far down though...(if that list is in descending order)[/citation]
because corporations are really the ones in power...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sparko2010[/nom]I think Times definition of influential is a stretch... I think they need to rename the list "The Most Talked About" Putting athletes and actors ahead of a group that literally has in some way affected (mostly negatively) hundreds of thousands of people and could have been a major part in SOPA getting put on the shelf doesn't make sense to me.[/citation]

lets put it this way,

i read a comic about... lets say boxing... if that comic is good enough, it makes me want to box.
that is an influence.

in that respect, actors and such have FAR more pull than anyone else in most cases.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Influential is a subjective term. To who is this list influential to, is it to individuals, or society in general? That's what the list is about sparko2010, this list is about people or in the case of Anonymous a group, who have influenced society. Now while I personally do not condone any of Anonymous's actions, I can see why they are on the list.

All of us on these forums have someone, or some group who has influenced us in some way. For me it is my grandfather, a Korean war vet, and my late friend who lost his fight with diabetes, and kidney failure. For others it might be MLK Jr., Gandhi, John Lennon, teachers, or athletes.

You also have to realize that list is who Time magazine thinks is influential, not who has actually influenced society. Lets not forget that this is the same magazine that named Hitler as Man of the year in 1938, and Joseph Stalin as Man of the year in 1939 and 1942. So you kind of have to take their lists with a grain of salt.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Lionel Messi...... yes
Hillary Clinton...... HELL NO!!!
They should of given her spot to somebody that is influential/inspiring like Eminem or somebody else that become succesful despite a hard young life.

maserda

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Also, MSG does occur in nature。
kv.gif

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]cushgod[/nom]Good, lets get this revolution moving.[/citation]

You call childishly inconveniencing millions of consumers a "revolution?"

Idiot.

Status