Tire Company Shows Off Flexible Ereader

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Quite out of line for them, but it's an interesting and innovative product. It would be nice to see it commercialized, it looks quite nice, granted it probably has very little processing power, but it would read text files nicely I'm sure.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Let me guess, the first story available for it will be "The Wheels on the Bus"? :)

This reminds me of the Mars-UK company in about 1991. They sold candy, oatmeal, dog food, and.... a multi-dimensional array-based 4GL database. They had acquired the rights to it for all of their in house financial reporting and analysis development, and then productized it.

It makes me wonder what Bridgestone's purpose is in developing this. Ads on tires?

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
next week "it is the next generation of ebook design. look, you can even run over them with your new bridgestone tir... *crunch* ...er um nevermind..."

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
whose up next? mcdonalds?? chevy?? or what about a nice abercrombie and fitch e-reader! woah! hold on, I wouldnt wanna see the price of that thing.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
wonder how much R&D Bridgestone put into developing it? and they have no plans to commercialize it to recoup some of the expenses. just a toy for the CEO? can they glue it to the side of their tires and start selling advertising spots?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelzehr[/nom]Let me guess, the first story available for it will be "The Wheels on the Bus"? This reminds me of the Mars-UK company in about 1991. They sold candy, oatmeal, dog food, and.... a multi-dimensional array-based 4GL database. They had acquired the rights to it for all of their in house financial reporting and analysis development, and then productized it.It makes me wonder what Bridgestone's purpose is in developing this. Ads on tires?[/citation]

There is a local company here that trades tires, produces accounting software and has a web development and game development studios and I have no idea what else they are doing. I bet they are in the real estate business and have at least on hotel on the seashore.

G

Nokia was known as a boot manufacturer before the became a Cell Phone manufacturer.

WyomingKnott

Distinguished
On the other hand, a flexible eReader sounds like a great idea to me. Not that I spend my days bending monitor screens, but such a thing would probably have a higher survival rate than a rigid one in my backpack.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Sounds like Firestone/Bridgestone wants a peice of the Patent lawsuit pie. Especially after their exploding tire fiasco.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well I kinda like companies that go outside their norm. I mean companies that are not what you call tech have capabilities and know how based on their experiance with their products that could be utilized in a completely different area.

G

How about "Buy 4 Bridgestone Tires and get a free Ereader." Great marketing too.

velocityg4

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Though they don't plan to commercialize it themselves. It does not mean they won't license production and sales rights to other companies.

I wonder how many colors that display can utilize. I always thought it would be great if they could use color e-paper to replace laptop and desktop screens to utilize ambient light. Just think of the battery life increase in laptops by not having to use a backlight in a lit building or outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 5
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 4
C Streaming Video & TVs 7
J Streaming Video & TVs 4
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2