Titanic is Being Converted to 3D for 2012 Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No, no, no, no no no no, no, no, no. No no no, no. No. No. No. No. No. No. No, no, no, no, no no no no no no no nononononononononononononononononono NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Did I mention I'd rather not?

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Movie Studio: what is hot at the moment?
Exec: 3D Movies
Studio: What is the biggest grossing movie of all time?
Exec: Avatar.
Studio: What is the 2nd highest?
Exec: Titanic.
Studio: Well what if we took Titanic and converted...etc...etc...
Studio: Plus we can use the 100 year anniversary as cover for our money grabbing.

yoodog

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
XD

Poor Us! ))) Can you understand how mach more people will cry again or even more. 3D can deliver you more emotional information, so that is going to be a flooding!))))

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
there are many folks out there who do not care about your 3d but do care about the story.better story = better movie.
good acting and filming and you geta great movie
3d is a gimmick i do not need.i will not be getting a seizure as i have a condition and there are millions like me who have an illness.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Metallifux[/nom]Noo what happened to Terminator 2[/citation]

I was just thinking this! There would be so many scenes that would take advantage of this. The mall hallway (crushed roses), the dirt bike chase, helicopter chase, t-1000 morphing etc.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
A real terminator movie in 3d would actualy cost alot of money to make, convert a 2d wich likely will sell about the same.. not so much - Greed have prevailed over the "art" once again!

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]allrock[/nom]If done propery its posable to convert any movie to 3D , done with care and quality I would go see the movie again, I rather dought Cameron would allow a poor conversion re-release after such effort to develop the much of technoligy in the first place[/citation]
yeah cameron would never release a crappy movie. he has too much respect for the art of film making. that's why he DIDNT write crappy dialogue and completely rip off dances with wolves/pocahontas to make an overly simplistic piece of crap movie about blue native americans. please. cameron is crap.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I've been saying for years that I wish they would just re-show old movies in regular theaters. It doesn't need to be 3D. I guess they can touch up the CGI if they want and fix film grain (fg that doesn't add to the movie atmosphere that is).

There are so many movies I never got to see in theaters. Aliens, T2, Matrix, even Back to the Future would get my money. Just stick a few shows of an old movie into a weekend every once in a while and advertise it. I'm sure they'll sell out the room!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]There are so many movies I never got to see in theaters. Aliens, T2, Matrix, even Back to the Future would get my money. Just stick a few shows of an old movie into a weekend every once in a while and advertise it. I'm sure they'll sell out the room![/citation]

The shark bit in Back to the Future Part 2. :D "Still looks fake." ;)

lo_vaquero

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]Just leave the classic movie alone.[/citation]If Titanic is starting to be considered a "classic", then cinema is truly on its last leg.

The fact that Titanic and Avatar are so popular speaks volumes about the state of our society and what we consider "good" entertainment. I've seen them both and probably will never see them again...

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
On the JC Titanic movie there is a lot of takes created in CG, those could be convincingly recreated with 2 virtual cameras using the original files, but unless the rest of the takes with the real actors and dummy scenarios are produced again, how the whole movie is going to become 3D? Faked over faked? The final post-produced 3D image in a movie is already a faked visual effect using all kind of tricks, but are they going to produce a new virtual camera for most of the movie takes based on the flattened postproduction files. Is this going to result in a post postproduction process able to recreate any regular movie into a 3D movie? Well, I most say this "new" 3D excitement in movies and Tv is not very exiting for me and it may be a sign the industry rans out of new ideas to sell their content and technology. I wont buy a 3d monitor or Tv, but I may go to the theater to see James Cameron Titanic recreation.

ender21

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Having seen MANY 2D to 3D "dimensionalizations", as many call them, in my industry with the new craze, I'm CERTAINLY going to pass on this.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[1] Know this almost a year before. Wikipedia beat Tom's to it.
[2] For god's sake, don't watch it if you don't want to, stop mindless bashing
[3] Will be curious to see how post production 3D works ...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
titanic ,was the biggest turd of a movie i ever beared to watch all of, and pelase tellmejsut what exactly about this movie makes it a canadite to "3d-ing" seriously the only visually "wow"parts of teh mvoiewere like the few minutes the ship was sinking the rest of teh movie would jsut beawaste of 3d tech .. not to forget that this movie blows so many chunks sideways. Avatar was just ok , titanic was a piece of crap that only sold well cos it spoke to milions of teeny bopper teens that fell over them selves ,for that punk ass gay wad lenardo de-crap-io.

lol i could rant all day about how much this movie stunk, but i'm going to stop myself here

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
gekko668 :

I totally agree with you on Avatar. I think Avatar is not that good and it is not on the "Classic" route. But in my opinion Titanic is a very different movie and on another category. With Titanic you could argue is not your kind of movie, is very emotional, but the movie is very good. They target very different audiences all over the world but Titanic was on the "unexpected" positive public reaction side. The GI-JOEs characters on Avatar almost kill the movie for me.

G

The idea that a movie shot in 2-d can't be converted to 3-d presupposes that the movie was actually shot in 2-d in the first place as opposed to being CGI that was rendered in 2-d. You don't really think they built a full-size model of the Titanic, turned it on its end and filmed live actors falling to their death from it, do you? Talk about suspension of disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.