Titanic is Being Converted to 3D for 2012 Release

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I don't know what you're getting at. Besides which, some of the effects were 2D. I believe someone once said that in places, they actually used sprites for people instead of CGI.

specialk90

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Give me a break people! So many here 'think' they have a clue about 3D (aka stereoscopic) and CGI. Small parts of Avatar were shot with a single camera and made stereoscopic in post. Taking video from a single camera and converting it to '3D' is not difficult but is very time consuming. They use 'Rotoscoping' to cut out elements of an image and then create a 'left' eye and a 'right' eye. In fact, some types of shots are easier and better suited to shooting with a single camera due to the inherent difficulty with current stereoscopic 2-camera rigs. Anyone wanting to 'learn' more about 3D, go to fxguide.com.

Something no one has mentioned is that the length of Titanic makes it the worst choice possible for 3D. Even Avatar was too long to watch in 3D without getting at least a headache or even sick and vomiting.

G

Actually Cameron just does not like rushed 3d conversion. People really can't tell good 3d conversion from shot in 3d. They tried a test somewhere and the people just started guessing which clips where converted or shot in 3d. The 3d was well done 3d in both the converted and shot in 3d clips. Anyway some news articles turned it around and made it sound like Cameron doesn't like any 3d conversion. Most likely because the writers of the news articles don't like 3d and therefore where trying to derail any attempts for companies to convert more movies which could start a flood of selections at Best Buy, which would make 3d tv's a nicer buy because of the increased content. Stop conversion and you just might slow or even stop 3d tv. People that don't like 3d are really ticked off that it turned out that so many people out there actually like it. They thought no one would ever be interested in 3d and had the rug pulled out from under their feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.