Samwell

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

I've just sold my PC build and I'm in the market for a laptop for video editing (Adobe Premiere).

I'd never consider not building my desktop PCs however I'm hesitant building a laptop as I feel it's less like Tetris - being confined to the shell of a laptop.

Specs I would like:
- A thin shell - my reason for moving to a laptop is travel and portability.
- i5 6200U or above processor
- RAM potential for 12/16GB expansion
- SSD
- 1920 x 1080 screen resolution

I've seen the Lenovo Yoga 500, the Lenovo IdeaPad 510 and a couple of others for around £500 for that spec.

Would I be able to build one for this price on par or better than those? If so what are the main considerations with laptop building?

Many thanks,
Sam

Building a laptop=you have been hanging out at the fringes of the Internet. In real life, nobody builds a laptop except for some experimentation or prototype. Show me a site that sells you laptop parts to build.

Thats not true. Anyone that buys a desktop replacement can are able to buy parts for it.

For £500 you will only be able to get laptops that are only able to handle basic video editing. If this is what you want then you will have to sacrifice on the storage as videos can take a lot of space. Also I don't think you can find a laptop with 12 gigs of ram for £500 with an ssd.

pebbleberries

Commendable
May 17, 2016
MSI is a good brand but it's not like brand = performance. It's about the specs that are inside. I would go Asus for best price to performance but nothing really sufficient enough for editing in the lower end models. Sager makes pretty much the best of the best but they cost too much for the performance. I'm currently using an Acer aspire v5 and I got it for $1000 about 5 years ago and it is ok for performance but i'm buying a new one soon. Another think to keep in note is that I live in canada so that price is about $750 in America. In general, desktops are better than laptops for money but you sacrifice the portability and low power consumption. With desktops, you need to buy the monitor and peripherals. Just don't go Alienware because when you buy one, it's like swiping money into the trash. They look cool but are not worth it.

Bardebay

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
pebbleberries ,
yes,i completly agree with you with alienware.i work with 4k video editing and with that i use the adobe premire pro.so i was going for asus after i got no laptops that can upgrade till 32 gb ram.i then thout of msi becausethey can upgrade fast.so which one i should chose in your opinion?