TomTom Launches $100 iPhone Navigation App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
whats the big deal? tomtom have been selling a similar bit of software for windows mobile for a while now at around the same pricepoint. Another case of Apple's device leading the way in some way no doubt.

Also, i dont see how a tap or swipe constitutes a multitouch gesture...

G

Stop complaining about US price. It will cost 100€ in Europe and that is almost 50% more.

It is funny like everyone is selling into US for lower price to fit in US market and companies like apple, hp, dell... are selling to EU for the same price but in Euros + tax + whatever.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dm_GPS[/nom]Goes to show you the value of the the GPS hardware is about $30. The rest is in map generation and maintenance. Thanks for letting us know the marginal cost of production.[/citation]

TomTom is trying to justify their purchase of TeleAtlas. They're hurting big time.

G

All GPS hardware is slow junkie. Running GPS software on an iPhone 3GS is an excellent idea but at $100 it is a joke. It should cost $10.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mrarifw[/nom]All GPS hardware is slow junkie. Running GPS software on an iPhone 3GS is an excellent idea but at $100 it is a joke. It should cost $10.[/citation]

I'd disagree with this. You do get what you pay for but I've got some good units.

nukemaster

Distinguished
This is good and bad.

Good.
It will actually be like a real tomtom unit.
easy to use, turn by turn
100$ may be worth it since a good gps can run for more and if you already have an iPhone, then it may be a good idea.

Bad.
Expensive. More so if you take into account the price of the iPhone it self.
Apple may pull it some day

I am sure it will sell to those who want ONE do it all unit.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I may think about it if it also comes with a Topo map for hiking.

By the way, this TomTom app is 1.21GB when downloaded. Not sure how much space will it take up after installed. Since most of people only have about 8-16GB in their iPhone... 1.21G seems a little heavy on most of the iPhone users.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
$100. LOL, I don't think so. The GPS works just fine on the iphone 3gs. I will wait until the app is on appulous or a torrent file. Thanks, but no Thanks.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
$100. LOL, I don't think so. The GPS works just fine on the iphone 3gs. I will wait until the app is on installous/appulous or a torrent file. Thanks, but no Thanks.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ahahaha, who was under the impression that iphone users would pay a vast amount of money for a good app, just because they pay next to nothing for tones of shit apps???

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
$100 is steep in a "land of $0.99" applications. But I am not surprised, I don't have a iPhone (thank god) but I do have a BlackBerry Storm. There is one app that does the same exact thing from a company called TeleNav. The app used to be $100 but then they changed it to a subscription survice ($10 month or $100 year), I wish it would be flat rate (like a "real" GPS) but at least it does everything that this TomTom app does in 2.7mb. Wonder if they will do the same as TeleNav (since iPhone apps can now purchese stuff directly from the app itself) and go subscription. Will they lower the price or will it stay the way it is? Still Apple tricked many of it's "loyal-followers" when it said v3.0 would come with turn-by-turn directions... Wait, they ment there is an app that does turn-by-turn directions.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
$100 is steep in a "land of $0.99" applications. But I am not surprised, I don't have a iPhone (thank god) but I do have a BlackBerry Storm. There is one app that does the same exact thing from a company called TeleNav. The app used to be $100 but then they changed it to a subscription survice ($10 month or $100 year), I wish it would be flat rate (like a "real" GPS) but at least it does everything that this TomTom app does in 2.7mb. Wonder if they will do the same as TeleNav (since iPhone apps can now purchese stuff directly from the app itself) and go subscription. Will they lower the price or will it stay the way it is? Still Apple tricked many of it's "loyal-followers" when it said v3.0 would come with turn-by-turn directions... Wait, they ment there is an app that does turn-by-turn directions.

masos1138

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
$100 and no text to speech? NO TRAFFIC? The free built in app has traffic. Already out dated POI? How about incorporating something like AroundMe, still one of my favorite and most used FREE apps. Is TomTom selling a beta?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]I bet it will drop to $50 in a week[/citation]

It better... I was excited to hear about this until now. What a complete ripoff.[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Lucky me that Sprint comes with free GPS.[/citation]

Yeah... no shit.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]gtokidd[/nom]Has anyone tried the Navigon app?[/citation]

I'm not paying AT&T monthly for anything else if I don't absolutely have to...

tosvus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
For a software only app, charging $100 and not even have traffic and text to speech is crazy. I do believe they give free map updates (how about POI db?) but at that price, they have to. I'll say it again, they should charge $24.95 for the app itself, and $1 per state you download. I do like that they have all map data on the phone, because I frequently lose internet connection when driving in the country, even in Chicagoland.

Status
Not open for further replies.