TomTom Releases Android App, Incompatible With HD Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Who would buy this? I have a 5 year old TomTom One and would never buy a TomTom again. It doesn't even have streets that have existed in the Denver suburbs for 10-15 years. Actually whole sub-divisions. And it gives directions in yards - who uses yards other than football players?

Not to mention Android already has Google Maps which is way ahead of anything TomTom would do.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]noTomTom[/nom]Who would buy this? I have a 5 year old TomTom One and would never buy a TomTom again. It doesn't even have streets that have existed in the Denver suburbs for 10-15 years. Actually whole sub-divisions. And it gives directions in yards - who uses yards other than football players?Not to mention Android already has Google Maps which is way ahead of anything TomTom would do.[/citation]

They are Dutch, and use meters in Europe. So they figured yards must be ok in the USA.
Someone should tell 'em that we use feet and miles over here :)

jojesa

Distinguished
In understand selling it on the iPhone iPad App Store for that price, since the Apple Map sucks.
I won't say people aren't going to buy it; since some people would just buy crap to prove me wrong :)

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
TomTom needs to give map app at much more lower price or even free if they're competing against Google Map...

it's already free and is probably THE best mapping software on Android devices...

and it was mistake for TomTom to forget about HD resolution if they want to put an app on Android...even smartphones have HD resolution...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
What is a TOMTOM?!

Bwahahaha... In about 6 months, there will be more Android 4.0 devices and pretty much all of them are 1280x720. Hello, AtrixHD, its a 1280x720 phone.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So they don't support HD resolutions, which many phones are going too, and they are charging 50 dollars?

HAHAHAHA.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]This is the company that Apple used for it's maps. What self respecting android user would even spend $1 on this when Google Maps is free?[/citation]
I think I can remember reading that. LOL. So, hypothetically, Apple is gearing up to sue Tom Tom and Tom Tom is gearing up to recoup some of its costs.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
How can it only work at 2 resolutions? They either have really lazy or really bad programmers. Maybe these are the same guys that helped built Apple's new maps app, no wait they are!!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
tom tom charges between $200-300 for updated versions of their maps on their stand-alone devices... that kind of asshat behavior has permanently turned me off the company forever

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
TomTom is late to the game they allowed Google Maps to establish dominance in the GPS catorgory which was just bad for them. I have no idea why they waited so long but it was bad on them. If they came out years ago when Android was a lot newer than yeah they could establish more of a foot hold on the market especially with offline maps, but everyone associates Google Maps with GPS for smartphones now. Just like search engine and Google.

Heck if they wanted to establish more of a foot hold the smart thing to do is to cut the price significantly to about $10 so it will actually sell, it may be worth more to them but it's not when the smartphones already has Google Maps and several other GPS's. And their not selling hardware but software. I think establishing more of a foot hold on the market and getting people to buy the product in volume is better than trying to get higher profit margins per sale for this and would net them more money. Too bad they probably won't realize this.

G

Yes, TomTom is metric by origin.
However, a non-metric version is supplied to developing countries that still measure distance by the size of body parts.

*duck*

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm... spend $50 on this piece of crap that doesn't even support a lot of phones, or spend $0 and use Google Maps, which is already known to work quite well. Hmm...

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]noTomTom[/nom]Who would buy this? I have a 5 year old TomTom One and would never buy a TomTom again. It doesn't even have streets that have existed in the Denver suburbs for 10-15 years. Actually whole sub-divisions. And it gives directions in yards - who uses yards other than football players?Not to mention Android already has Google Maps which is way ahead of anything TomTom would do.[/citation]

Considering GPS Navigation wasn't feasible until about 2000 when the government unlocked accuracy down to 10-15 meters. So GPS navigation came into development a few years later and full detailed mapping came into full swing i'd say around the 2005 time frame. I know because i've had all kinds of GPS units since the start. Mapping was really poor before that time frame, and even then it wasn't the best. Teleatlas and Navteq were the two leading providers, Navteq in Garmin and Teleatlas in TomTom. Google maps also used teleatlas until 2009, when it switched to it's own map database. Google to this day still deploys cars to all throughout the U.S. to continually map and photograph streetview data.

So your 5 year old unit probably was purchase on closeout or sale and had already 1-2 year old maps on it, making it 2004-2005 map data in which GPS and detailed mapping was still in it's infancy.

I have a Tomtom unit that's 3 years old but has 2011 maps on it. I've traveled all over the country and have yet to get lost.

And what's wrong with yards? Feet is kinda dumb when you're traveling 50mph. Yards is easy to visually compare to the length of a football field. Feet is not a feasible unit when moving at high speed.

$50 is not bad when compared to a stand-alone unit, especially when they do offer table resolution version. A 7 or 10 inch GPS navigation unit with offline map data and the ability to pinch zoom would be extremely awsome to have.

G

I don't understand why people love google navigation so much. It is good for short trips, but it is not really usable if you drive a long trip through several countries as the roaming costs become too high. Also no lane assist, routing is not that configurable etc.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]qwerty_123[/nom]I don't understand why people love google navigation so much. It is good for short trips, but it is not really usable if you drive a long trip through several countries as the roaming costs become too high. Also no lane assist, routing is not that configurable etc.[/citation]

You must be in Europe? Here in the vast united states, that is not a problem because you have one cellular provider for the entire country. The reason it's so popular is because at least here in the U.S. Google sends cars out all over the country taking pictures and mapping roads, they have the most accurate map data currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.