Top 10 Scientific Inventions: X-Ray Places First

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greyrabbit_42

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Are they talking about an x-ray generator or radiation detection???
These are two different inventions... And have different applications...

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Sorry guys - I couldn't resist....
;)))

[sarcasm]
Why iPod isn't number #1 ? :)))
[/sarcasm]

It must be greatest invention of the past 2000 years surely?!

alaeddin

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Dynamite should be up there as well without it there would be no railroad (or not as big) and no Suez or panama canals. Almost every kind of mining quarrying uses it. Construction and transportation in general would not have gotten where it is today without it.

Simply, the world would be completely different had it not been invented.

alaeddin

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Dynamite should be up there as well without it there would be no railroad (or not as big) and no Suez or panama canals. Almost every kind of mining quarrying uses it. Construction and transportation in general would not have gotten where it is today without it.

Simply, the world would be completely different had it not been invented.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Zirbmonkey[/nom]Sliced Bread is nowhere to be found.[/citation]
I hate sliced bread. Wonder bread is on the 10 most awful inventions, right after Napoleon Dynamite and Varion-T Disruptors...

G

Well, they are asking inventions that had an impact on society: the top ten lacks most of them (and includes discoveries with some kind of distortion: DNA "machine"). I agree this list misses Computers. But History already has classified this inventions: they force a "revolution". So the first items in this list should be the ones that drove revolutions: agriculture, iron... Computers / internet are driving the next revolution, so it should be there.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I agree with Jacob's list over the official list. I was going to suggest several items he listed, including vaccination and the transistor.
But in terms of impact on daily life, the car - or Model T if you prefer to be specific - has, I beleive, the number one impact on life, followed by the TV (regretably?) that consumes so many hours per week of the average person and is his conduit for news, entertainment, and all too often cultural values.
The airplane also has had a major impact and I would replace the Apollo 10 capsule with, arguably, its predicessor.
Birth control pills, and other methods of contraception, have also had major impact, not only in terms of the sexual activities of those practicing it, but all the lives not on the Earth now because of it.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
let's not forget the Hubble Space Telescope or just the telescope.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]#1 Printing Press#2 Electricity#3 Steam Engine#4 Antiseptics/Pasteurization#5 Penicillin#6 Vaccination#7 Transistor#8 Nuclear Fission/Fusion#9 Compass#10 Astrolabe[/citation]

Good list. Here's one more that should be on there... the Abacus!

napalmdest54

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]#1 Printing Press#2 Electricity#3 Steam Engine#4 Antiseptics/Pasteurization#5 Penicillin#6 Vaccination#7 Transistor#8 Nuclear Fission/Fusion#9 Compass#10 Astrolabe[/citation]

Printing press is a scientific invention?

Lets not forget the internet, radar, microwave, sonar, artificial heart, pacemaker, defibrillator, photo voltaic cell, there are many more.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]wawawoom[/nom]x86 processors! Must be in top 10 as they are almost everywhere!They have been around just over 20 years and look at the changes they made to our everyday life.[/citation]

31 years for x86, about 40 for microprocessors in general.

+1 for the microprocessor being on the list. Of all the items on that list, the world would be most impacted by the lack of it's invention.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
These kinds of lists are so subjective it's almost comical to even read them. I don't disagree with what is on this list, as far as them being important, but just like it's already been noted, some are discoveries, not inventions; and some are "perfected" technologies which were around for a while - such as the Model-T Ford. If you compile a list based on such loosely defined criteria, then how about putting electricity in there, or the ball-point pen - I mean this list certainly seems to go for the dramatic, not the fundamentally extraordinary.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Health is more important than anything so I would pick any related achievement on the top.

The microprocessor is a very gradual evolution that I think may be covered in the Pilot ACE Computer category or if you prefer with the transistor, and to me, more specifically with the electricity development not included in the list.

I think for the vast majority of people a personal computer is still a world processor with a nice to have set of features and there is no need for microprocessors to do that. In the end you could think, create, write and draw with a piece of paper and ink. This is to me the most important development or achievement in our history, but this is not a scientific achievement. The printer is a very important creation, but is it considered a science achievement?. I am not sure.

And In my opinion electricity and telecommunications are more important than microchips. That is how the vast majority made it up to the 1980s.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
We need to understand very well the difference in science and human achievement. And I need further investigation to create my top 10 list.

Status
Not open for further replies.