Top 10 Scientific Inventions: X-Ray Places First

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
umm...sanitation

I don't care how many neat little gadgets you have going for you....if you have to pause to go take a shit in the corner of the room I don't think it really matters that you have a X-Ray machine, steam engine or electronic telegraph. That is, unless you plan to telegraph someone about the monstrosity that came our of your ass that now resided underneath the living room chair.

nishiki

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
All the Human Science as a whole are great scientific invention, and some of the technical invention would not exist or used in a ''good'' way without it.

Love as a value...its a great invention (still not fully build)
Compassion
Friendship
Coopération
Sharing
Dedication
etc...

nishiki

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
All the Human Science as a whole are great scientific invention, and some of the technical invention would not exist or used in a ''good'' way without it.

Love as a value...its a great invention (still not fully build)
Compassion
Friendship
Coopération
Sharing
Dedication
etc...

autoimmune

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
That is easily one of the worst lists of anything i have ever seen.
No internet, No GPS, no silicon chip, and god the electric telegraph? That is one of the simplest inventions in the history of mankind. It took more work to invent the wheel than it did that crap

G

Um... Light bulbs are evil now.... didn't you all get the Al Gore memo? Edison is just as evil as Columbus...

/sarcasm

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Seems to me that Air Conditioning should be on the top 10 somewhere, for without it I would imagine that many of those others inventions wouldn't even have happened.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
1) Wheel
2) Printing press
3) The transistor (and everything it's used for)
4) Penicillin
5) Steam Engine
6) Internal Combustion Engine
7) X-Ray (Photography)
8) Electric Generators (AC/DC)
9) Compass
10) Nuclear Bomb (which led to reactors and peace time uses of nuclear physics)

Everything in 5-10 can be shuffled around a bit.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]rockyjohn[/nom]I agree with Jacob's list over the official list. I was going to suggest several items he listed, including vaccination and the transistor. But in terms of impact on daily life, the car - or Model T if you prefer to be specific - has, I beleive, the number one impact on life, followed by the TV (regretably?) that consumes so many hours per week of the average person and is his conduit for news, entertainment, and all too often cultural values.The airplane also has had a major impact and I would replace the Apollo 10 capsule with, arguably, its predicessor.Birth control pills, and other methods of contraception, have also had major impact, not only in terms of the sexual activities of those practicing it, but all the lives not on the Earth now because of it.[/citation]
Good points. I lumped TV with transistors, Aoillo 10, Aircraft and the model T under Steam Engine (which is a precursor of the ICE) and allowed for mining of metals and metallurgy and eventually magnets...

JEVERSON, I was actually thinking about the abacus. Honestly, I was, I just couldn't bring myself to put it over some of the other ones. Perhaps just my nievety.

Dynamite is a great one, as is Agriculture.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]napalmdest54[/nom]Printing press is a scientific invention? Lets not forget the internet, radar, microwave, sonar, artificial heart, pacemaker, defibrillator, photo voltaic cell, there are many more.[/citation]
It allowed for the mass recording of scientific information. No longer would knowledge be lost simply because someone dies without being able to teach his work to another...

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well the list is based on 50000 peoples opinions so it tells something about "normal" people. There is big difference between everage Joe and people who has too much time to spend in internet like us... Where is my WOW?

Not so bad list at all, it tells about what people value most in their life, not maybe the most important inventions. The average age of anvering people is most propable higher than in this forum, so it is not big surprice that they value different things. To people of age 50-60 microprosessor and internet are not highly valued inventions.
Can anyone link to original list? It would be nice to see how high or low, some inventions mentioned here are in "real life".

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Since we have the double helix I would also like to nominate non-inventions.

1.) Sun Light
2.) Water
3.) Kittens
4.) Pot
5.) Shigeru Miyamoto
6.) Crack Whores
7.) Grand Theft Auto
8.) The crack whores in Grand Theft Auto
9.) Internet
10.) Crack whores on the internet

G

1. Refrigeration: it has changed everything about how, what, where, and when we can eat. Not even counting the endless medical reasons and without it Penicillin is useless.

I think anyone that thinks the Internet should be on the top ten list needs to unplug and take a look around. Top ten inventions should be things that if taken away would drastically change our lives, even if they are outdated forgotten technology. Like the printing press.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
How about tacking back in time?

1) Use of fire
2) Use of tools
3) Use of fur/fiber for clothing
4) Language
5) Drawing/painting/writing
6) yes... wheels
7) farming
8) animal training (dog, horse, .....)
9) construction (houses, building, .....)
10) math

Honorable list: Monolith!! (wait... that is invented by Alien..:p )

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
apollo 10 capsule - thats an arbitrary number why apollo 10, why not apollo 11 - the one that landed on the moon. Why not apollo 8 the first trip around the moon, why 10?

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
V2 Rocket, Apollo 10 module??? Why are these on the list?. The list is missing other more significant inventions such as: piston engine, generator, microprocessor, and what about silicone breast implants...

lubitz_420

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Electronic Transistors, not only that what about the 8088, of course only choosing ten inventions would be tough too bad they wasted half the list on discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.