Top 7 Things You Shouldn't Do On Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Don't use any part of your real name.... period.[/citation]

Hmmmm. I could steal any Tom's writer's identity with that logic! Who's first?

All eyes are on that new guy, Rico!

(I like how you used 4 periods and then said 'period' followed by another period. Really gets the point across!)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I don't understand #4. Why is it bad if your kid's name is on face book? Who cares if somebody sees their photo and knows their name. How is that a bad thing?[/citation]
Well it's not a bad thing, if you happen to want to stalk or maybe kidnap a persons kid? Or like doing wrong things with little kids. A pic is one thing, a pic combined with name and maybe living area is pretty much telling them you can take my kid.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
How about opening a blog account as well as a Facebook account? Think about what you're posting and how it will affect your friends. If you think it will come back to haunt you, blog it somewhere else so no one sees it. Remember, Facebook isn't a private diary. Your FRIENDS can see this. Also, to not piss anyone off, probably stay away from posting anything religious or political, unless ALL your friends see eye-to-eye with your thoughts and beliefs and you won't end up pissing someone off or worse, losing another friend.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Well it's not a bad thing, if you happen to want to stalk or maybe kidnap a persons kid? Or like doing wrong things with little kids. A pic is one thing, a pic combined with name and maybe living area is pretty much telling them you can take my kid.[/citation]

Wouldn't it be a lot easier for a stalker to just hang out near a school? Should we be teaching our kids never to refer to each other by name? It would be way more difficult to try to track down the kid off of some photo on the internet and their name. Do pedos really care what a kid's name is? This is just paranoid crap.

boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]8. Open an account[/citation]
Greatest thing ive heard all day! Completely true, too!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I don't see the point of this list?
Basicly it's telling you, that if you want to use facebook and be safe at the same time, then your only option is to not use facebook.

If I don't want my friends to know I'm on vacation, or when my birthsday is, I wouldn't have added them as friends in the first place. This list is silly, and more importantly a complete waste of time to compose.

You cannot protect 100% against malicious use of your information, and standards are already so high, that any attempt to be more secure will just cause more inconvenience than the security is worth. If you want to stay safely away from society, don't use social networks.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm not sure it matters if you make your info private or public. Facebook f's up so much and shares info they shouldn't anyway.

Also, maybe if the setting options were simpler and ALL ON ONE PAGE with BETTER DESCRIPTIONS it might make it easier for suckers. Oops, I mean users.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]How about opening a blog account as well as a Facebook account? Think about what you're posting and how it will affect your friends. If you think it will come back to haunt you, blog it somewhere else so no one sees it. Remember, Facebook isn't a private diary. Your FRIENDS can see this. Also, to not piss anyone off, probably stay away from posting anything religious or political, unless ALL your friends see eye-to-eye with your thoughts and beliefs and you won't end up pissing someone off or worse, losing another friend.[/citation]

That's the great thing about life, you can choose who you befriend! You can add random strangers on Facebook (although this may get you banned) or you can choose to have none at all. Besides, all the idiots who don't see things the way I do don't deserve to be my friends anyway. God I wish I had someone to talk to so I didn't have to try to socialize online. Oh well, I always have the masses on the net to annoy. There's a chatroom calling my name, bbl.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
8. LOGOUT when on public computers

i cant even begin to count the times i have gone to the collge library and someone has left their email/facebook/myspace/etc logged in... giving me full access to their info and the ability to change passwords

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]2zao[/nom].8. LOGOUT when on public computersi cant even begin to count the times i have gone to the collge library and someone has left their email/facebook/myspace/etc logged in... giving me full access to their info and the ability to change passwords[/citation]
I'm not (completely) evil of anything, but I'd have to set their status as something like "I'm an idiot who left account logged in on a public computer".

Capital W

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Will be closing mine this summer. I think it was an overdue action for me.[/citation]
I don't remember ever opening one to close. My son and all sister-in-laws have accounts so I am the unsociable one in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.