torn between configurations, help please

vtbrandon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
im looking at buying a new gaming laptop, no more than $2500 though..i looked at HP and really like what they have to offer but i cant decide between 2 graphics cards, 2 procesor types and 2 ram options: one graphics card is the geforce 511mb 8600M GS the other is a 383 MB 8400M GS. the 2 ram configs are 2GB or 4GB. i didnt know if 4GB is a little overkill or not. as for the vid cards, ive never seen a 511mb or 383mb config in any video card, usually its all 128, 256 or 512. the processor i was looking at was either a 2.0ghz intel core 2 dup or 2.2 ghz core 2, i didnt know how much difference that extra .2 ghz would really make and its like $100 extra...so i guess im at a loss i have no clue what to get, i dont even know if these video cards are good or not. im also using this laptop for school and home entertainment so i dont want it to be solely for gaming, but since gaming obviously requires the most resources i figure i should list that as its primary function

Go to xoticpc.com or discountlaptops.com and check out the NP5790. Far better than the HP. If you don't like that then also check out what Dell has to offer. Dell's laptops are better than their desktops IMO and I have used both. I want to send you to killernotebooks.com but his Executioner is a bit out of your price range.

Of the two cards listed the 8600GS will be the only that will play games at decent framerates. The RAM numbers are weird because the cards use turbochache I believe. My laptop has the T7200 (2.0ghz) and I can play all of my games just fine (COD2 and BF2142). Windows can't recognize anything more than 3gb of RAM unless you use a 64-bit OS so getting 4 is a waste.

vtbrandon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
i looked at dell but i sidelined them when i built the exact same laptop at HP's site for almost $1000 less...not to mention the dell had a 12" screen and a shitty video card, i think dell is FAR to over-priced but maybe i just wanst looking in the right laptop section (they only have like 30 different choices lol)

uh,yeah. Sounds like you are comparing apples to oranges.The HP you are looking at with the 8600 is a 17'' model. The Dell was the 12.1'' XPS m1210 which wasn't designed for graphical muscle. Take a look at the new Inspiron 1720 which actually has a better card than the HP (GT instead of GS). Take a look at that other l;laptop I mentioned too.

vtbrandon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
ok yea for some reason i was only looking at the xps laptops because i thought that was dells gaming line...thanks for the tips, the dell and the hp cost about the same so its a toss up, but your right the dell vid card is better..i looked at that Np5790 model, it was nice but i think id just prefer something name brand (such as dell or hp), im just a whore like that lol

one last question; whenever im seeing video cards now im seeing them listed as "UP TO 512MB OF SHARED MEMORY!!!" then in tiny tiny fine print at the bottom of the page (only contains 128 mb of dedicated memory)

whats all that mean? when a game lists its system requirements it says something like "requires 256mb graphics card or higher", it doesnt specify shared or dedicated... so would a graphics card with 128mb dedicated and up to 512 shared be able to support a game that requires 256? and forgive me if thats the most noob question youve seen but i dont know a lot about this stuff as you can tell

I actually have the predecessor to the 5790 and yeah you have to be willing to go out of your comfort zone. The Dell's and HPs are good choices though.

Have you heard of Turbocache? that's what those cards use. The card itself only has 128mb of memory built onto it but when it needs more it steals memory from your RAM. So if you get a card that says shared make sure you have a decent amount of RAM. Yes, I think those cards would meat the 256mb requirement since they can steal more memory.

This will sound corny but the only noob question is the one never asked. Always ask questions about stuff you don't know. I have found that out many times and a few of them the hard way.

TRENDING THREADS