Torrent Tracker Mininova Made $1.3M in '07

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Mininova doesn't host trackers (at least as far as I know), TPB hosts many trackers though. Mininova hosts (torrent) files that contain lists of trackers, not the trackers themselves.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]FrustratedRhino[/nom]Hopefully TPB will be shut down and it will set a legal precident that no place is safe from illegal activity.[/citation]
TPB is not illegal...just yet anyhow

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Hopefully ubisoft will start releasing demos for their games... did anyone else notice the INSANE amount of torrents there were for far cry 2? That's what happens when you hype up and under-performing game and don't release a demo.

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
And on that note, I just received notice from my ISP that they "do not support P2P file sharing blah blah blah". Since when do they decide how I legally use my bandwidth? I read the EULA and it wasn't in there...

I'm going to quote Lars Ulrich, Napster Killer, for irony: "Freedom, with their exceptions..."

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Close it all down. We'll just invent another method. Stop fighting it.

Maybe lower the game costs? $60 for a game I'll play for 10-20 hours? Maybe $20 a game and I'd be buying them. Seriously, the prices are just too high. Software too. Yea, Photoshop is nice, but for $600? Dream on. Make it $200 and I'll buy.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Trying to make the oporators of a website responcible for content posted by other users is silly and pointless.

As p05esto said. Close it all down and a new setup will simply spring out of the woodwork. Lets try to remember that "supernova" got shut down...and behold mininova sprung up.

TPB made a poor choice in name of course, but Prange's point is a bigger factor to me. If I made a site, to host pictures and profiles, or a site to allow chat, or a site for people to post torrents and someone else abuses it, how would it be right to blame me?

Why would I want to spend my time policing others?

A lot of piracy comes down to service and convience. A lot comes down to bad pricing models. The rest involves cheapskates who cut corners in life regardless and piracy is simply an extention of it.

I bought the orange box. The price was fair, steam is pretty damn convienient, content updates mean I made an investment that I see returns on. That's a good model.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Makes sense, I used to know people (young people around 18 years old) running top rated emulator sites years ago and they had no job and did not go to school and just reaped the benefits of the banners making $2000 + per month in their pocket on top of server costs.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Close it all down. We'll just invent another method. Stop fighting it.Maybe lower the game costs? $60 for a game I'll play for 10-20 hours? Maybe $20 a game and I'd be buying them. Seriously, the prices are just too high. Software too. Yea, Photoshop is nice, but for $600? Dream on. Make it $200 and I'll buy.[/citation]

I agree in many senses.
$70-80 CAD for a new game is just ridiculous. Very few games are worth the less than 5 hours I play most games (most games suck, I only finish good games). Paying $80 for a game that sucks, and I will never complete is a complete stack of bullshit.

How about movies? $20+ for a 90 minute movie that sucked (I want my 90 minutes of life back half the time, never mind my money)... A good movie to me is at least 120 minutes long, and I usually prefer old movies.

Microsoft office. How do they expect a student to dish out $100+ for something all students should have?

Honestly, make the prices fair, and I'm down. I gladly pay for the games I like. My game collection cost likely over 40 games at a value over $1500 and that does include used games (only about 10 games were worth it). My movie collection is >$100... At a buck a song or more, all the music I ever bought totals to $15 (a single CD).

Can you blame people for torrents? Who's really the thief at $1.50 a song?

G

I tend to use CinemaTorrents (http://cinematorrents.com) for movies. I can't stand the price either.

Status
Not open for further replies.