Question Toshiba 40RV52U unresponsive

Sep 22, 2020
I have a Toshiba 40RV52U television. For a while now, the volume has spontaneously increased to max volume. If I would try to reduce volume with the remote, it would fight it and go right back up once I stopped pressing the button. Same thing happened when I would push the volume down button on the TV. Now it's to a point where the volume bar is displayed at all times and even if I try to reduce volume on the TV, nothing happens. The volume bar is unfurl blast all the time. In the last few days, I haven't been able to even change the input so I can watch cable TV. When I push the input button on the remote, the menu only comes up momentarily. Nothing happens when I push the input button on the actual TV. When I push the menu button to go to settings to do a factory reset, it goes through all the different icons so quickly that I can't choose settings and it ends up on the sound setting and now all those settings are adjusted fully to the right of the scale. It's an older TV as in over 10 years old. Do you think this is a cheap and easy fix or not? At this point, I'm seriously thinking of just getting a new TV. Also, to add to my TV frustrations, my Vizio sound bar likes to randomly go quiet so I have to constantly turn it off and turn it back on again. I'm getting seriously frustrated.

Sep 22, 2020
I did take the batteries out of the remote but it didn't help or do anything. Interestingly enough, this morning, I unhooked my sound bar to clean it and when I plugged it back in, the TV was working again but the sound bar wouldn't emit noise-just the sub woofer. Tonight I came home and the TV was working for a bit and I decided to tackle the sound bar issue when it stopped working again and the volume was pegged to full blast and the rest of the buttons wouldn't really do anything. I got the sound bar working and a little while later the TV is working again. I'm at my wit's end right now. If it was a stuck button on the TV, would it randomly become unstuck as well?

Sep 22, 2020
The TV seems to work sometimes and not work at other times. I disconnected the vizier sounder as there was an overcurrent detected. Eventually the TV started working again. Now it's broken again this morning. I'm getting a new TV at this point. The Toshiba is at least 12 years old and I don't think it's worth fixing at that age.