Toshiba A105 Laptop Display screen problem

Jahk

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Lower third of screen remains greyed over. Suggestions?

BTW, this laptop replaced an earlier Toshiba laptop with a video card failure. Are display problems common to Toshiba laptops?

Solution
It is my firm belief that the problem abated with rollback / restoring was purely happenstance, as the behavior with the external monitor confirms. Your LCD panel is dying. One could take a flyer with replacing it, but my experience, these specific types of cases are hit or miss. Better to just go new. . .

However, I have a laptop with no top chassis whatsoever serving as the kitchen computer. The bottom chassis is stuck under the counter. The only thing showing is a nice 19inch LCD*, compact keyboard and mouse. Good enough to check email, browse the web, and catch up on some TV episodes.

*Oh, wait, I just added a 7 port USB hub, too. . . ok, now I need to start thinking about cable management.
I am not aware of an common failures with video cards in regard to Toshiba's. How long as this issue persisted? Is it grayed out like say, Windows or a program has locked up or simply just grayed out, i.e. you can use the laptop normally?

Jahk

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Problem first presented beginning of November. Using an XP restore point fixed it, or so I thought. The problem has returned. All programs seem to be functioning, just the lower third greyed over and is hard to read.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Generally a sign or symptom of general LCD failure. You can verify this by using an external monitor. This type of failure, while relatively uncommon, is not, in my experience, of higher incidence in any one particular vendor.

Jahk

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Currently, I once again returned to a restore point and the screen is now working correctly. So, although I have not ruled out led failure, a distinct possibility ;-{(}, I'm leaning more towards a software issue.
It first started after a deep defrag (2X) via MyDefrag, although with JKDefrag there never was an issue. Or, maybe a registry cleaner, I know my manual windows update credentials are gone, but I have received auto updates since restore (I think *S*).
Anyway, glad to read monitor problems are not a known issue with Toshiba laptops. Now, will be re-introducing various software with caution.

Thanks again!

Jahk

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Problem returned, absent when using an external monitor, still there when returned to laptop screen.
Otherwise, computer's working. So, I bought an external monitor to use for the time being. I have started looking towards acquiring a new laptop, but not a Toshiba. Two strkes, they're out. TWT what I buy.
Thanks for the suggestions!

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
It is my firm belief that the problem abated with rollback / restoring was purely happenstance, as the behavior with the external monitor confirms. Your LCD panel is dying. One could take a flyer with replacing it, but my experience, these specific types of cases are hit or miss. Better to just go new. . .

However, I have a laptop with no top chassis whatsoever serving as the kitchen computer. The bottom chassis is stuck under the counter. The only thing showing is a nice 19inch LCD*, compact keyboard and mouse. Good enough to check email, browse the web, and catch up on some TV episodes.

*Oh, wait, I just added a 7 port USB hub, too. . . ok, now I need to start thinking about cable management.

Solution

Jahk

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Yes, likely happenstance. Since the new flat screen external monitor is only a little bigger than the laptop, I could take it with me on my travels. I use my laptop more as a portable computer to set up in my hotel room when I travel rather than as a "laptop". It would only be another small case to bring along on the road with me. ;-{)}

Anyway, seems "case closed". (laptop pun? *S*) I'm thinking a Dell, but maybe an Apple, after the first of the year.
Thank You for your help.