Toshiba A300 does not start

Drake1989

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
Hi
I had a problem with my toshiba satellite a300 when i was power up the laptop it was staying open for 5 minutes and then restarts all the time! when i was in safe mode everything was ok! I open the laptop to clean it from the dust and now the laptop doesnt start up! I have double check every cable every screw! everything is right but the screen it is still black!! I fix the problem with screen! but i having the again the problem with the restarts! the laptop restarts all the time!!! why is that happening?

Solution

Then it's likely a video card or motherboard issue.
That laptop is old enough that you may be better off replacing it rather than getting a new motherboard unless you can find one for well under $100 and can do the work yourself.
Try to re-install Windows clean (I like to do it all on a new hard drive so you don't lose any data). If that does not work, you likely have a hardware issue, chances are you need a new motherboard. For a 5 yr old laptop, you may be better off buying a new one, or at least a newer used one that's only a couple of years old instead of replacing hardware.

Drake1989

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014

I have re-install windows but nothing happened again the same problem! If it was a hardware issue the laptop will shutdown unexpectedly also in safe mode! I try to check the disk from command promt with the chkdsk command and sfc/ scannow command and nothing found! I also update the BIOS but again the problem remains!!

Did you try different RAM? Safe mode does not load the system nearly the same way as a regular boot does. Especially if the video card is bad, safe mode only uses the basic VGA functions. Soon as you start the regular drivers and the hardware gets used more, system crashes.

If you re-installed Windows, only thing left is a hardware issue.

Drake1989

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014

No i did try with differnet RAM! I re-install the windows but again the same!!

Then it's likely a video card or motherboard issue.
That laptop is old enough that you may be better off replacing it rather than getting a new motherboard unless you can find one for well under $100 and can do the work yourself.

Solution