Toshiba black screen boot and frozen Windows - help?

KOTARE

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
So, my Satellite has been playing up, it's getting old I guess.

For context, 3 of the 4 USB ports no longer work, the DVD drive head is misaligned, the FW port is sketchy, and the SD card slot is a no go. It runs very hot, and I've been having software problems where I get constant hang screens when searching for something through Explorer, the spinning wheel of nothing. At least the HDMI port works...

I had a faulty HD that was dying. It has my old Windows OS on it. I've been booting into a new HD with Ultimate trial installed.

I took the faulty HD out last night after finding the OEM keys on it for Home Premium. I have a license for Home Premium, but I've been testing Ultimate before moving to 10. My Ultimate trial is now over.

I thought that the failing HD was responsible for the hang time with Explorer, but there's been other problems of late. Sometimes it will just reboot for no reason. It hasn't happened much to me, strangely my GF gets it a lot though.

Oh and lately, sometimes on booting it emits some beeps and won't boot to any lead screen or graphic but instead just shuts down. It'll do this repeatedly until I let it rest for a few minutes, then it's fine.

I thought it was heat related, as it does and always has run hot, so I got a USB fan for it to sit on.

So, that's the back story.

I want to reinstall Windows Home Premium on my good HDfor the free upgrade to 10. Last night I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade and got to the screen where it asks for a product ID, realized I didn't have one for Ultimate, rebooted to my old failing HD, got the OEM keys for HP, restarted it and now...

...it does one of two things. It'll power on, the HD light will flash and then stops flashing, the fan works, but it stops at the black screen. It won't get as far as BIOS options, it just boots straight to the black screen. In this scenario, the HD light will also flash when I power it down.

Or, it boots into Windows desktop (Ultimate with no key, on the good HD as my failing one is now removed), but freezes within a few minutes.

When it booting to black screen, if I power it down and leave it for 10 or 15 minutes it'll boot to Windows every time, but will freeze, as per above.

I've tried power cycling it, taking the battery out, and booting into safe mode.[strike] It crashes in safe mode too[/strike] it did crash in Safe Mode once, but I managed to get back in and it didn't crash at all. I ran two anti virus/rookits programs - they didn't find much of note - but Avira wouldn't work. I'll boot into safe mode again with networking on and try redownloading Avira and Comodo and doing a full scan. Right now, after restarting, it boots to the black screen again...

There are no system restore points.

There are no peripherals plugged in.

Strangely enough, after taking the bad HD out, I put the good one in the bad one's bay. Immediately after taking the bad HD out, it bootedto Windows desktop, I plugged in my SD card USB reader to format an SD card for reinstalling Home Premium, but it started asking for drivers for the SD card and something else (can't remember what, maybe WIFI?), which if never does. Then it froze, again.

I thought it might be a problem with the pins in the HD bay, so I swapped the good HD back to its old bay, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas???

KOTARE

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
Okay, I've done that - sorry, I was away for a while...

I did that, reseated the RAM, took out the failing HDD, I still am getting double beeps on powering up and sometimes just loading to a black screen. Do you know what that means on Toshibas? I am in Windows now, it seems the same as before, intermittent.

What can I do now?