Toshiba Equium A100 - advice needed

belladonna

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I have an Equium A100 027 that belonged to my partner and i need to replace the cpu, or at least i think that's what it needs to get it working again.
The machine will no longer power up and before it died completely, it used to suddenly cut out with no warning while in use. This would happen whether it was running on mains power or from the battery.
The period of time it would take before the machine would cut out gradually became shorter and shorter - it went from lasting about an hour or two until eventually it wouldn't even stay on long enough to finish POST.

By the time i got my hands on it, the machine was basically a doorstop. I think the cpu had been running too hot, maybe the fan wasn't spinning fast enough or something, and its caused permanent damage to the cpu over time. Which is why i want to replace it if possible and save myself the expense of buying a new laptop.
I know the RAM isn't the problem because i tried it with new modules and it made no difference.

Any advice or tips would be massively appreciated.

It does sound like a bad CPU, but at the same time, it could very well be a bad motherboard. Perhaps the motherboard's components began to damge gradually as time passed. If it is a bad motherboard, your best bet is to probably just spend money on a new laptop.