toshiba L500D laptop

kenaba

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
computer has white screen when booted up sometimes gets to desktop ok sometimes after 10 -30 minutes or not at all can hear emails coming in in background could it be the backlight

Solution
I won't ask how you're writing thee posts then. It could be backlight failure - they are available on e-Bay and that's usually a sign of a vibrant market in them. Search for and download the service manual for that particular Satellite model before you hit the screwdriver.
You could try connectng it to a PC monitor and that would show you whether it's just a settings problem or a broken screen.

Are there any Function keys with brightness icons - one will be a half moon and the other is a sun? If so, hold the Fn key and the Function key with the full sun icon and you might get back to normal.

My cat is able to dim the brightness on my laptop without me knowing.

kenaba

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi tried the sun thing that made no difference when it does get to the desktop its normal so screen would appear ok have not got access to another monitor at this time

I won't ask how you're writing thee posts then. It could be backlight failure - they are available on e-Bay and that's usually a sign of a vibrant market in them. Search for and download the service manual for that particular Satellite model before you hit the screwdriver.

Solution