Question TOSHIBA laptop crashing quickly after turning on

May 6, 2020
Hello everybody,

I have a problem with TOSHIBA Satellite L350 model and I'd like to know if it's something serious and I should throw this old laptop in the trash or there is some non-expensive solution.

So, the problem is that this PC usually crashes very quickly after logging in. It is often about 1-2 minutes, but sometimes unexpectedly longer. Anyway, that crash happens in two ways. 1. Turning screen into some color, while no action is possible, only force shutdown. No mouse, no text, just blank screen of some color. At first it was white, then it sometimes looked like light grey, later I've also seen some kind of light brown and the newest one is some kind of blue (maybe I've forgotten some). This option is the more frequent one. 2. The PC just turns off and maybe after 3 seconds turns on again by itself.

I've tried a lot of things - attaching external monitor, some stuff with graphics driver, ... I've also launched anti-malware scanning of PC (which suprisingly didn't crash while scanning). I've tried to run PC without anti-malware software. At last I did complete factory reset. None of these helped.

In task manager I've noticed, that CPU is overloaded most of the time.
Just before the crash the PC usually makes a noise (cooling).
In safe mode it doesn't crash.
OS on it was Windows Vista originally, now there is Windows 10. I'm not sure if problems started immediately after Windows 10 installation, but definitely not when there was Vista or later 7.

Now my plan is (last attempt) to try to install some Linux on it, but I want to ask here at first. I just really can't find out the problem.

Thanks very much for any help.

Sep 5, 2020
Hello everybody,

I have a problem with TOSHIBA Satellite L350 model and I'd like to know if it's something serious and I should throw this old laptop in the trash or there is some non-expensive solution.

So, the problem is that this PC usually crashes very quickly after logging in. It is often about 1-2 minutes, but sometimes unexpectedly longer. Anyway, that crash happens in two ways. 1. Turning screen into some color, while no action is possible, only force shutdown. No mouse, no text, just blank screen of some color. At first it was white, then it sometimes looked like light grey, later I've also seen some kind of light brown and the newest one is some kind of blue (maybe I've forgotten some). This option is the more frequent one. 2. The PC just turns off and maybe after 3 seconds turns on again by itself.

I've tried a lot of things - attaching external monitor, some stuff with graphics driver, ... I've also launched anti-malware scanning of PC (which suprisingly didn't crash while scanning). I've tried to run PC without anti-malware software. At last I did complete factory reset. None of these helped.

In task manager I've noticed, that CPU is overloaded most of the time.
Just before the crash the PC usually makes a noise (cooling).
In safe mode it doesn't crash.
OS on it was Windows Vista originally, now there is Windows 10. I'm not sure if problems started immediately after Windows 10 installation, but definitely not when there was Vista or later 7.

Now my plan is (last attempt) to try to install some Linux on it, but I want to ask here at first. I just really can't find out the problem.

Thanks very much for any help.

This sounds like my same issue and reason for getting on here, although my laptop is an ASUS X750J. I've had my laptop for years. It's running Win 10 now, and I believe this is the problem. (Stupid Win 10!) This download was forced on me, as was on many others.

The crashing most often happens when I am online, especially since I began using Hulu. It happens with wifi and ethernet. Tonight it has crashed seven times. I gave up and shut it off. This is my work computer and cannot yet be replaced. Any good outcomes here? Thanks.