Toshiba laptop keyboard and startup not working

Bep

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Hello.
I have a Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop with Windows Vista. Yesterday the keyboard stopped working all of a sudden and when I tried to restart the computer windows wouldn't start. The Toshiba screen would appear, then it would beep 5 times and reboot.

Trying to press combinations of Fn + F (numbers) I got to access the BIOS, but the problem is that the keyboard is not working there either, so there is nothing I can do.

Somehow I also managed to start windows a few times, after pressing different combinations different times, so I was able to save my files, however, the keyboard is not working when windows start and when I restart it I keep having the same problem (the beeps, rebooting, etc).

What I tried so far:

_I tried to take the battery off, unplug the computer and press the power button for 30 seconds. Nothing.
_ I tried to hold 0 while pressing power, it takes me to the BIOS and I cannot do anything there due to keyboard not working.
_I tried to plug in an external usb keyboard, nothing.
_ I opened the laptop up and tried jumping the BIOS with a jumper in B500, nothing, but I'm not sure if I did it right.
_ I tried to start it with a Linux CD, nothing.
_ I tried downloading updates when I got Windows to work, nothing.
_ I also tried to uninstall the keyboard drivers then, didn't work.

Any ideas? Taking it to the service or calling someone is not a viable option.
Thanks

Ps: Now I cannot start Windows anymore because it says it was turned off during startup and asks me what I want to do, which I cannot select anything.

The keyboard issue is probably one of two things:

1. Bad keyboard or loose/faulty ribbon cable. You can try reseating the cable, but this will require you to open the chassis, so take precautions! Check the retainer clip that holds the cable down while you're at it.

2. Bad keyboard controller. This would be per fault of the motherboard, and is only fixable by replacing the board, or possibly a reflow, but reflows are hit or miss and are risky.

As for your BIOS beeps, I would need to know what BIOS provider that board uses. If you can go into your BIOS setup and tell me what the name is at the top (probably either Pheonix, American Megatrends/AMI, or Award), I can look up POST code errors for you.

Bep

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Thanks, I'll try taking the keyboard out and see if it's that.

My BIOS is Insyde 1.50.

Update: I took the keyboard out, unpluugged it, cleaned all the keys, plugged it back again... and nothing, still the same.

Do you think I have to change the motherboard then? that'll be a pain...

Bless it... Ascertaining the POST error beep sequence with a lesser known/documented BIOS vendor isn't very easy. You might need to contact Toshiba support for that. My go-to site doesn't have beep codes listed for Insyde.

Last resort would be the motherboard. MAYBE a new keyboard will work, if the problem is with the key matrix or circuitry of the current keyboard itself, or perhaps its cable. A replacement keyboard is fairly cheap, but a replacement system board will most likely be costly.