Toshiba Overheating Issue

jptech

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I own a Toshiba Satellite M305D laptop, and it has been a great laptop so far. However, it has started randomly rebooting, so I investigated into the cause. Using AMD's Overdrive utility, I have been monitoring the temperature and voltage of my laptop. I found that under a moderate load (Chrome, Thunderbird, and iTunes) the laptop's Turion X2 processor went up to 92 degrees Celsius! It was running at high performance settings and 1.075 volts. When I put the laptop into power saving mode, the CPU is in the 50s running at .8 volts at idle (I let Vista boot up and things settle out for a couple minutes)!

My question is... What is the best thing to do? What is quickest? What is most effective?
The reboots have been occasional, but I fear they are coming more often as time progresses. Is there any damage to the CPU?

For more information about the model, my laptop is nearly identical to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-M305D-S4833-14-inch-Processor/dp/B001BRCGHG except mine features a smaller hard drive (and I got my laptop at a much better price).

Thanks,
JP Tech

G

I assume at those tmperatures you are not using it on your lap !! Thus not blocking any vents.

It's tempting to say get one of those aircooled bases for the laptop but I gather they are pretty useless. Try a sheet of aluminium or brass under the laptop as this may draw some heat away.

danlajoie

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

My wifes M3050 would run for a while and then shut down. Eventurally it would not boot. I believe it was an overheating problem. I am aftaid the motherboard may have been over heated one time too many and not has bad chips. I tried to blow out the heat sink but there really is no way to do this without taking the computer apart do you have access to maintenance instruction the give a step by step of how to remove the top cover?

jptech

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

What solved my issue was a good blow through all the vents. There is a vent in the bottom and a vent in the side. After I did that, to this day, it has been running fine. I just took the compressed air and sprayed through each vent until I thought it must be good. Hope that works for you... It did for me. Mine could have just been a bit of dust in the wrong place. Hopefully, yours is not past the point of simple repair.

Best of Luck,
JP Tech

jbboyd56

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

jbboyd56

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
JP Tech Thanks for some good advice in regards to voltage settings! (1) vents cleaned always!!!! (2) Used extra laptop cooling fans always (3) 17 years as a tech myself (4) 67 years old (5) Toshiba has no answer for real extra high heat output & no boots! I did replace the CPU & no help! Motherboard next; I hope not!!!!! Thanks, JP Tech..................jbboyd56