Solved! Toshiba Portege Z935-P390 with new battery - Won't turn on with battery power, orange light blinking

Sep 23, 2020
Hi, I just installed a new battery for my Toshiba Portege Z935-P390. As soon as I connected the battery and the AC adapter, I noticed an orange light blinking rapidly that I hadn't seen before. I tried to power on the laptop on battery power and it didn't respond at all. Then I plugged in the AC adapter again and it did power on. Windows reports the battery as having 62% charge but even after hours of use, the battery charge percentage does not increase. I also tried leaving the laptop off and charging overnight to see if it charged up fully, but again it won't turn on without the AC adapter and it's still at 62%.

I tried the battery reset (holding the power button for 30 seconds), uninstalling/reinstalling the ACPI battery under device manager, disconnecting both the battery and the BIOS battery and nothing seems to work. I also tried plugging in the old battery (which wasn't completely depleted, it gave me about an hour of runtime before) but now the laptop won't turn on with it either. I also tried checking if the charging port is loose but it's securely connected.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to try next. The laptop works fine on AC power but it's basically now a desktop because as soon as I remove the power cord it turns off immediately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Why did you install a new battery? What was the problem with the old battery?

Which new battery did you buy (post the link if possible)?

The battery might be faulty or the wrong one for your laptop

Original Toshiba battery:
  • 14.8V
  • capacity: 47Wh / 3060mAh / 8cells

Sep 23, 2020
Why did you install a new battery? What was the problem with the old battery?

Which new battery did you buy (post the link if possible)?

The battery might be faulty or the wrong one for your laptop

Original Toshiba battery:
  • 14.8V
  • capacity: 47Wh / 3060mAh / 8cells
Thanks for your reply!

I installed a new battery because the original one barely gave me an hour of runtime. The laptop ran fine but I needed more battery life. The new one I purchased has the exact same specifications as the original. Here's the product link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VXMHKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I find strange is that even if I reinstall the original battery I get the blinking orange battery light and the laptop doesn't power on. This didn't happen before. For some reason the only way I can turn on the laptop now is on AC power, whether the new or the old battery is connected.

Last edited:
Solution