Question Toshiba Qosmio Powered Off and Wont Turn Back On

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
Have tried the standard hard reset (unplug power, remove battery, gold power button for 30 seconds, plug back into power, insert battery) to no avail. When plugged in, I can tell I am getting power because the LED is it for the power indicator on the front but it will not power / boot up - any other ideas?

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
Got it.

I have "Disk 0 Partition 1" (EFI System Partition), "Disk 0 Partition 4" (Recovery Partition), "Data D:" (New data drive, I presume), "Old Qosmio Drive E:" (old data drive), and "Windows C:" (Im guessing old C drive?).

When I changed the drive name as you suggested, I notice it did nothing to the last item on the list, which I suppose it expected. :)

There should be two different disk numbers--probably disk 0 and disk 1. Eject the external drive and look at DIsk Manager. You should see just Disk 0 (unless you have more than one drive inside your machine). Now plug in the external drive. You should see it show up as a new disk. It will have several partitions. It may take a few seconds for the change to show up,

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
Been trying to eject but says some program is using it. I have shutdown every program now and even ended some tasks in Task Manager just to be sure .... still says something is using it - maybe I have to wait 20 minutes or something? Maybe safe to just unplug it anyway?

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
OK, was able to safely remove it eventually. Ran Management utility again and Windows C: is listed, meaning this is associated with the new laptop and not the old one ... now I know why it wouldnt let me remap the drive :)

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
found out the problem .... under the original laptops motherboard (yes i disasssmbled the whole thing as an amateur), low and behold a 256GB SSD undrneath .. this thing is TINY! Does this imply yet another adapter cable to USB for this drive as well?

Is it a little card maybe 3/4" wide and 1-2" long (they come in different lengths)? Yes, that would be another adapter.

Did you try the experiment where you start the laptop without the external drive and look at the Disk Manager? If there is both a HDD and SSD, you should have seen a Disk 0 and a Disk 1. Disk 0 would have several partitions (sections) and disk 0 probably just 1 partition. When you plugged in the external drive, a Disk 2 should have appeared. That disk will also have several partitions probably. I'm a little confused about your disks now. Can you answer my questions above?

ndjester

Great
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, and thank you - I believe I was mistaken with my original assumption that I had one drive with two partitions. They were, in actuality, two separate drives (one 2.5" HDD and one mSATA SSD buried in my laptop). When I couldnt find the data I was looking for, that led me to the questions that I was asking in here - in reality the data was always on another physical drive that I had not yet retrieved because I didnt know it was there.