Toshiba satellite A-105 intel Centrino duo Vista capable - Loaded Win10 Pro - need updatable graphics card? works but is slow

ave1954

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Recently bought an olderToshiba A-105 Laptop with ubuntu OS & a locked unknown password on it [tags on unit say it was originally xp pro & upgradable to Vista]
I went to the Toshiba site and found how to bypass the password & then upgraded the BIOS .

Seller said it already had Win 10 but was locked out by the ubuntu password.
I found all the windows updates had been removed, so I bought a fresh Win10 online with a new key and made an ISO and put onto a USB and loaded it no problem initially and installed it.
I soon found it works but seems slower & hangsup sometimes so began doing all the windows update over and tried updating all the drivers in Device Manager which still shows some triangles indicating needed updates.
These wont update :
-Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
-Intel (R) Wireless 3945ABG but the new Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 works fine.
-Intel(R) 82801 GBM/GHM(ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller -27C4
-Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family(Microsoft Corp- WDDM 1.0)
-Mass Storage Controller
-SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
-Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Each say they already have the best drivers but the triangles warnings remain on them.

Was looking to replace some along with the video/graphics card [if that would make it work better? as some frames on some pages load slowly or stay blank sometimes but most sites work, sometimes typing is delayed but shows up a minute later in comments like on facebook or twitter.

Not sure if this is as good as it gets or if there is a way to find out what I can do to upgrade it as sometimes on restart I do get an error saying it has to repair itself and then have to restart it again.
Thanks for any advice that can be offered to improve this laptop.

Ave

Solution
Probably means they already have the best drivers available.. but sounds like Windows 10 doesn't have support for the old hardware. If you have the option to download drivers for Windows 7 or Vista, try installing those drivers in Windows 10. Do it with Run As Administrator or in Safe Mode, previously setting for Safe Mode startup in MSCONFIG starting msconfig from Cortana or Start > Run. If that doesn't work.. you may have to install a previous version of Windows... 7 may work.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Probably means they already have the best drivers available.. but sounds like Windows 10 doesn't have support for the old hardware. If you have the option to download drivers for Windows 7 or Vista, try installing those drivers in Windows 10. Do it with Run As Administrator or in Safe Mode, previously setting for Safe Mode startup in MSCONFIG starting msconfig from Cortana or Start > Run. If that doesn't work.. you may have to install a previous version of Windows... 7 may work.

Solution