Toshiba satellite L305 no screen display at all?

mthakershi

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I have a Toshiba satellite L305 running Windows 7. Didn't start it for 6 months or so. Now when I power it up, it doesn't show anything at all on the screen. No booting activity (like DOS output) and no graphics (like windows starting). The hard drive activity indicator LED is blank as well. I do hear the fan and HDD ticking when I listen carefully on back of the laptop. When I press the CD drive open button, it opens up. When I power the laptop, I do hear sound that computers make as first step of the booting process.

I did remove the RAM and put it back. Removed the battery and put it back. Tried to run it on AC power only. Tried the battery removal and then press power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power. None of these worked.

No matter, how much I charge the computer or keep it on the AC power, it doesn't work.

Please help and suggest what can I do?

Thanks.

Solution
It sounds like it could be either your display or the graphics card/GPU.

Try turning off the laptop fully. Then connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and finally turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitor screen, then the problem is either the attached display or its ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard.

You would then have to open up the laptop and check the ribbon cable. If there are no problems with that, you probably need to replace the display.

However, if nothing shows on the external monitor as well, then your graphics card/GPU is probably toast and will need replacing (which will probably mean the motherboard needs replacing).

NOTE: If the device is still under warranty...
It sounds like it could be either your display or the graphics card/GPU.

Try turning off the laptop fully. Then connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and finally turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitor screen, then the problem is either the attached display or its ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard.

You would then have to open up the laptop and check the ribbon cable. If there are no problems with that, you probably need to replace the display.

However, if nothing shows on the external monitor as well, then your graphics card/GPU is probably toast and will need replacing (which will probably mean the motherboard needs replacing).

NOTE: If the device is still under warranty, don't open it up yourself. Instead contact the manufacturer.

Solution