Solved! Toshiba Satellite L630 Keyboard

sharris93

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hi,

I somehow hit one or more keys on my keyboard by accident and ever since then, several keys no longer match the key characters when pressed and my keyboard is not working at all as it used to. For example, in Word, if I press ''1', the Word help box pops up, but I cannot type a number "1" at all. If I press "2", a message at the bottom of the screen says, "The specified text is not a valid building block name" but if I press "2" again, it appears on the screen. Some letter keys work normally but others do not and either type numbers instead or nothing at all. In addition, my Enter key does not seem to work at all. I have already tried to uninstall the keyboard but it does not allow me the option to do so in the device manager and I have no idea of what else to do to try and fix this problem. I cannot seem to find any advice for my laptop model, so I'm asking here if anyone can help. Thank you in advance!

Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

If that doesn't work, you may have changed the language layout the keyboard is using.

To set a default keyboard layout...

1. Click the "Start Start" menu and select "Settings".
2. Select "Time & language".
3. Click "Region & language" in the left column.
4. Under "Languages" click the language you want as default and click "Set as default".

To switch keyboard layouts...

Option 1...

1. Click the "language name" in the lower right of the screen (taskbar).
2. Select the keyboard layout you want to use.

Option 2...

Press and hold the "Windows" key while you press the "Space bar" to change the language.

sharris93

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Thank you, webworkings, for your ideas. I have tried them all but sadly, the keyboard is still doing the same thing... :(