Solved! Toshiba Satellite L635-S3104 rare battery problem

Nov 15, 2018
Hi to all!!

I have a very strange problem with my laptop Toshiba Satellite L635-S3104, step to tell you:

1- About 4 years ago i have this laptop with Windows 7 and it was freezing randomly so i have to powered off pressing the button.
2-Then i decided to format (Windows 7) and this issue never happened again.
3- Weeks ago i formated again and put Windows 10 and the problem started again...

So i did the following things:
- Open the laptop, clean the fan and the processor, i change the thermical paste (i thought it was a temperature problem)
- Replace the RAM.
- Replace to a new HDD
- Update last BIOS version.
- Disable one processor (read in a forum)
- Change windows power plan.

Nothing change... the issue continues... i start the laptop and after 10, 15 minutos... freeze completely.

The i try the folllowing:

- I take out the battery and start the computer only with de AC charger.
Wooola! The computer stop to freeze and works 100% fine. So i bought a new battery thinking that was the problem.
BUT NO!!! With a new battery the problem appear again.

I dont know if its a logical or hardware problem, because before... a few years ago... the laptop after the format works fine, and then after putting windows 10 started again the same problem that was having the first years of use.
Is there a possible that exist a driver for the battery or something like that?

Its very rare....

Sorry for my english!!

Thanks to all

Juan

Solution
Sounds more like something in the power settings to me.

Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. I would then go through all the settings (not just one particular area) and make sure all is set exactly as you want.

4. Now reboot the computer.

5. If it happens again, then I would try loading up in "Safe Mode" and see if you run into any problems in there. If not, it is likely software, if it does, then even with all the changes you have done then we are talking hardware.
Nov 15, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from juanml777 : "Toshiba Satellite L635-S3104 rare battery problem"

Hi to all!!

I have a very strange problem with my laptop Toshiba Satellite L635-S3104, step to tell you:

1- About 4 years ago i have this laptop with Windows 7 and it was freezing randomly so i have to powered off pressing the button.
2-Then i decided to format (Windows 7) and this issue never happened again.
3- Weeks ago i formated again and put Windows 10 and the problem started again...

So i did the following things:
- Open the laptop, clean the fan and the processor, i change the thermical paste (i thought it was a temperature problem)
- Replace the RAM.
- Replace to a new HDD
- Update last BIOS version.
- Disable one processor (read in a forum)
- Change windows power plan.

Nothing change... the issue continues... i start the laptop and after 10, 15 minutos... freeze completely.

The i try the folllowing:

- I take out the battery and start the computer only with de AC charger.
Wooola! The computer stop to freeze and works 100% fine. So i bought a new battery thinking that was the problem.
BUT NO!!! With a new battery the problem appear again.

I dont know if its a logical or hardware problem, because before... a few years ago... the laptop after the format works fine, and then after putting windows 10 started again the same problem that was having the first years of use.
Is there a possible that exist a driver for the battery or something like that?

Its very rare....

Sorry for my english!!

Thanks to all

Juan

Sounds more like something in the power settings to me.

Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. I would then go through all the settings (not just one particular area) and make sure all is set exactly as you want.

4. Now reboot the computer.

5. If it happens again, then I would try loading up in "Safe Mode" and see if you run into any problems in there. If not, it is likely software, if it does, then even with all the changes you have done then we are talking hardware.

Solution
Jan 21, 2019

Yeah, I have one L635 with core i3 also has same weird problem, our organization bought the laptop but was left in box and totally forget about it for couple of years so the warranty is done. Recently I found this unopened laptop and thinking to set it up, everything works perfectly no problem as it was on AC, fully updated it and install everything that are required, but once unplugged the AC and running on battery, I notice random freeze problem, I also thought it's the battery, so went and bought a new one, but the system still acting the same, on AC 100% working, but on battery the laptop will freeze within 5 - 10mins. I then search for new bios update and no difference, then I totally format the system and installed latest Windows 10 (1809) and still the same. I also try change the power saving settings for hard drive, WiFi to never shutdown for power saving.. etc but even after all the work, the laptop still act the same, freezes on battery but work 100% on AC. The only thing left is the hardware, but that is nothing I can do.