Toshiba Satellite P755-S5120 - Intermittent Boot Error (Sometimes Ignores HDD)

Feb 9, 2018
I am helping someone troubleshoot a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5120 and I have run into a very strange issue. To begin with, I installed a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home from a USB drive. After booting into Windows, I made sure that all of the drivers were configured and up to date.

So far so good.

The problem that I am having now is that on occasion, the computer does not boot to the SSD and instead tries to boot from another device. I have had it attempt to boot from a USB drive (when there are none plugged in) and from PXE (with no network cable plugged in) despite the SSD being recognized consistently within the BIOS.

Through my troubleshooting process, I have tried the following:

Verified boot order: the BIOS is set to boot to the SSD first, then USB, then PXE, then CD

Changed boot mode from fast to normal: this helped somewhat, but did not get rid of the problem

Reset BIOS settings to default: again, minor improvement (boot error was less frequent) but did not solve the problem

Ran system file check and check disk: no errors detected

Checked BIOS version: BIOS is up to date at version 2.80

Important Note: I have found one important detail that might help. When the computer is powered off and on again quickly, the error does not occur. For example, if I boot into windows and restart the computer, it will boot successfully 9 times out of 10. Similarly, if I hold down the power button and then turn the computer back on immediately, it boots without problem into Windows. If the computer remains off for more than 15 seconds or so, it boots to the incorrect device very consistently (around 80-90% of the time).

Any thoughts? I'm really struggling to figure this one out.

Solution
It sounds like an issue between the SSD and the laptop motherboard BIOS. This issue lies outside of Windows.

I would try a SSD firmware update. Check SSD physical connections and ensure they are firm. AHCI mode setting in BIOS may help. Besides that you've already done everything and I would contact Toshiba.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
It sounds like an issue between the SSD and the laptop motherboard BIOS. This issue lies outside of Windows.

I would try a SSD firmware update. Check SSD physical connections and ensure they are firm. AHCI mode setting in BIOS may help. Besides that you've already done everything and I would contact Toshiba.

Solution
Feb 9, 2018

I'll look into the firmware update and see if that might help. The physical connection is secure and as I mentioned, the drive always appears listed in the boot devices so it doesn't appear to be an intermittent connection issue. I have the SATA mode set to AHCI already. I'm wondering if there's a possibility of a motherboard level hardware issue at play.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
If the SSD firmware update does not help, contact Toshiba and give them your SSD part number and your laptop model number. They may know of firmware level incompatibilities between the new SSD and the laptop, or more specifically the SSD's controller and the laptop's motherboard chipset or BIOS.