Toshiba Satellite Will Not Start

Jul 17, 2018
Hi,
I own a Toshiba satellite c55d that used to belong to my Aunt. She got it in 2015 and never used it except to keep the battery in shape. This year she decided to give me the practically new computer, which was a welcome upgrade. I tried the computer a few times and it worked well.

Yesterday, July 16th 2018, I brought the computer to my local library to install antivirus software (which entails inserting a disc into the DVD drive and it will download the program from the internet. I was at the library because my home WiFi is absolute trash).

After starting the computer (which had 64% battery capacity and was not plugged in) and signing in, I then diverted my attention to another computer I was updating the drivers on for 10-15 minutes, after which I returned to my Toshiba. It had locked and asked me to sign in, which I did (still 60-some% battery). I then inserted the disc. after 1-2 seconds the computer ( in traditional windows 8.1 style) prompted me "choose what happens with this disk by tapping or clicking here". I clicked. The screen went dark a half second later. when I realized I was having problems, i tried to eject the disc. It would not eject. I noticed that both the indicator lights for the "CAPS LOCK" and "NUM LOCK" buttons were lit. pressing them did not change their lit status. after another very confusing 2 minutes, those indicator lights went out. All attempts to reactivate it, with or sans battery and charge cord have disappointingly failed. We even tried using the charge cord from my Dad's identical c55d.

No luck.

I doubt that the motherboard or processor died, my aunt didn't use it that much and was paranoid about food or drink being anywhere near it (so am I). I hope that you can offer some advice. Thank you in advance.

Solution
That start up and immediate fail syndrome is sometimes caused by the RAM (memory) which is inside the case.

If you have a hatch about four inches by three on the underside of the case, remove the screw and ease the hatch out. The RAM sticks are held in by a small spring clip on each side. Ping those apart and remove the RAM stick, then the other underneath it if there is one.

Blow any dust off the gold connectors and gently put them back in place. That may fix the problem.
Jul 17, 2018
Okay, Good News, and Bad News.
The Good news is that Pin-hole trick worked. The DVD drawer opened and I retrieved the disc. However, the Bad news, the computer still will not respond to input. For the slightest fraction of a second, when I pressed the power button, the fan buzzed and then died again. all of this without any lights lighting up. I will give it a day before I try it again. Here's hoping. if you have any additional ideas, please tell me. Thank you.

That start up and immediate fail syndrome is sometimes caused by the RAM (memory) which is inside the case.

If you have a hatch about four inches by three on the underside of the case, remove the screw and ease the hatch out. The RAM sticks are held in by a small spring clip on each side. Ping those apart and remove the RAM stick, then the other underneath it if there is one.

Blow any dust off the gold connectors and gently put them back in place. That may fix the problem.

Solution