Toshiba Satellite Z930 screen backlight issue after replacement.

zaneamiralis

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
Dear Sirs & Madams,

I recently stood on my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite Z930-14F.
It still worked, but the screen was cracked, making the top left corner illegible with a number of horizontal and vertical lines flickering at times.

I ordered a first replacement screen which I swapped out and worked perfectly besides the physical surrounding bracket being too wide meaning the plastic screen bezel no longer fit.

I sent it back and reinstalled the broken which still worked.

I received a second screen which physically fit, but once I had installed it in the same manner as with the previous screen the backlight failed to work. I could see the content was vaguely visible, but no light.

I decided to put back the broken screen, but to my surprise, the backlight no longer worked on this screen either.

Does anyone have an idea as to what has happened here? Also what may be a possible fix?
Or steps of diagnosis?

Admittedly I did not ground myself before the screen fix, and, perhaps worse, I did not remove battery as it is built in and locked up behind a secure torx screw.

Thank you for your help & wisdom,
Zane

Solution
It sounds like the backlight got damaged at some point in your install/uninstall procedures. It happens. If that is the case, then the backlight will need to be replaced.

Erik69

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Hi!

I have same problem with my Toshiba Z930. Can you please be more concrete, when you say:
It sounds like the backlight got damaged at some point in your install/uninstall procedures. It happens. If that is the case, then the backlight will need to be replaced.
Is the problem with the new LCD or on the Toshiba-mainboard or software-problem?
Thanks in advance! Kind regards, Heiko