Toshiba Shutting Down -- Cooling Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpascone

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
My Toshiba Satelite keeps shutting down. It has an Nvida graphics chipset. I was running a monitoring application on my Nexus and noticed the unit powered off when each of the core temps were at 208.4f, - ambient temp was 98.6f and GPU core at 213.8f. Is this likely the reason the unit keeps shutting off? I have it elevated on a perforated aluminum stand but maybe this isn't enough. I have to get this sorted ASAP. Thoughts on a relatively inexpensive solution?

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
These temperatures are dangerous. Every laptop has an automatic shutdown temperature and that is why your shuts down. They inform user about overheating after the BIOS screen (At least mine does). The most probable cause of this is dust in the fan which is not allowing it to function properly. Just use a hair drier or an air can to blow the dust off the fan. If that doesn't work you can open the laptop and remove the dust manually but its only recommended if you know what are you doing or you can damage the laptop. 90% of time removing the dust fixes the issue. My suggestion would be to keep you laptop only on hard surface and if possible keep the fan elevated to a height.

jpascone

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I brought the CPU to 85% and that seemed to help but I want to crank it back up, I have blown the fans out already. I have a nice aluminum stand with holes in the platform. If attach fans underneath it and blow in to the vents below the fans inside the laptop will this help? I believe the bottom vents are intake? I have some nice 12 volt double ball fans which would be perfect for the task.

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Well if the blowing of air doesn't work I think there might be three causes.

First, the dust is stuck. I guess you'll have to open them and clean it or get it cleaned.

Second, Maybe you need a good thermal paste.They can drop the temperatures by upto 8C (Can set you back by 7.49 $ to 17 $)

Third, the heat sink is damaged, you may need to replace it.(Don't know the cost)

The fans will certainly help. You can also get a Notebook Cooler. I would recommend Cooler Master Notepal U3
or U2.(Costs U2 20$, U3 27$).They helped me drop temp by 10 to 12 C. But that would be a superficial solution.

deltadawnJ

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Which Model is this? I have a p755-s5320 and it would repeatedly shut down even just as I powered it up. I just discovered it is the power button that is very poorly designed. Toshiba no longer makes it and my 16 month old computer is now garbage due to this.

The power button is not a switch, it's a pushbutton. The power button has nothing to do with the shutdown of the laptop.

deltadawnJ

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Mine is a push button as well not a switch. In my case it had everything to do with why my laptop would repeatedly shut down with no notice even with in seconds of turning it on. I took it in for repairs and once taking it apart, my repair peson found this to be the problem. The connection here is basically like "a piece of tape and two pieces of aluminum foil" to put it in his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.