Toshiba T135D Freezing up

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hi, i bought a toshiba T135D S1324 at Best Buy. and this is my third replaced one in 2 weeks
first one and third have same issues. sudden freezing for 2 sec and screen turns into black. no HDD activity LED, just power light and WIFI light
i know about computers a bit also how electricity works.
this seems to happen mostly when battery is under 20% percent remaining and mostly happens when windoes 7 loging in screen shows up.
i just saw once when laptop was plugged in and happend at loging in screen. other than this one, it always happened when battery is under 20%
which for this laptop can stay on for at least an hour with 20%.
this happened when i was web surfing, watching vido, (RANDOM)
Called toshiba and they talked to me as if i dont know anything about computers, and told me to reformat. i told him that this doesnt seems like formatting will fix it. but he said use it and see if it does it again after format.

i thought the problem was battery voltage and current decreasing is causing the whole laptop to malfunction when battery is under 20%. or other chance was windows problem. becuase it mostly happens at loging in screen.

so i formattd it to factory setting, update all the drivers i could think of, and its sitll happening. i also tested cpu with prime 95 pass for an hour without crash ( plugged in)

sorry for long story, but if you ever experienced this situation, or know what the problem here is , help me please THANKS~

btw, just want to tell you about my second replacement.
i was at school, so my parent got it changed. next day i took the box to open it. and see there is a transparent sticker says" inspected by best buy" and factory seal was broken. i opened it and everything inside was opened including the laptop. i turned it on and it has been already set up and has anti virus software and geek squad installed already. i had this straight feeling that it was a open box, or customer return. so i took it back. long story short, manager said they open few new laptops and presetup the pc with free 6month anti virus. as a customer i could not see a reason why they would do that because they lose little by installing stuff. this is just my thought but, i thought they make returned item look NEW by making it presetup pc and sell it for NEW price. this is only reason i could think why they would just open up New laptops and install stuff. finally i got is changed to third one hoping for some luck, but no luck...

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hmm i was thinking that too. but after three times driving to best buy, im kind of tired of dealing with customer service, and telling same story over and over again. that was y im trying to find a solution to this other than return. ill give it a day and wait if someone esle has a opinion.
thanks for reply

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
um if i end up returning this one, what would you suggest me. all i need is a high protable laptop, long battery life 6 or + hrs, better cpu than Atoms, under 600$.
this one was 520$

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
ok im looking at event log,

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
log name - system
source - kernel-power
event id - 41
user - system
opcode - info

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-07-11T05:05:28.030018400Z

EventRecordID 4525

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Jamesforce-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

i know what kernel power is but i dont know any of these numbeers.

G

I have the exactly same problem and same model.. but I am in brazil.. i bought it on a trip to florida! looks like i am f****d. I dont know what to do!