Toshiba Tecra Z40 won't turn on

Vince2016

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Hey, I've seen that several people had similar problems with their Toshiba laptops, so I assume this is a Toshiba-problem. I have a Toshiba Tecra z40-A-14N which now does not turn on anymore. I've been using it and it told me that the battery was critically low and that I should connect it to the charger. When I did that it switched immediately off, and afterwards would not turn on anymore. Instead of the usually amber light of the DC IN I now get a flashing white light, which according to the handbook is a reason to contact a seller or repair shop. I've done all the tricks with removing the battery and pressing the power-button, but nothing helps - the laptop is not turning on or charging the battery. I kept it connected to the charger for one night, nothing.

However, sometimes I could switch it on again after many trials on battery mode for one or two minutes (entered windows) but when I connected to the charger it switched off immediately again. The blinking DC In has a pattern llsslsss, which I know can be converted into a hex-code, but I don't have the codes so this doesn't help much at the moment either.
I know that there is possibility of problems with the mobo or with the charge-controller...
I also had this problem before with the white-light blinking,but there it restarted just after some trials.

Anyone any ideas what to do? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again with the battery and charger.
- Next test to try would be to remove the battery again and connect just the AC adapter and see if it will boot up or not.
- If the laptop will still not boot up with just the AC adapter connected do try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage.
- If it doesn't work again that could only mean that the motherboard is faulty or the charging port.
- I would suggest replacing the charging port first and if that will still not work last option would be replace the motherboard.

Vince2016

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Hi Laptop_Nerd,
thank you for your answer. So, I tried your steps already and if no one has another idea I guess that means the charging port or mobo are defect :( I'm really frustrated that Toshiba is not giving open access to these failure codes. I mean it's brilliant to have this system in place but then no one is able to translate that code :eek: