Toshiba Thrive Packs Android 3.1, Shipping July

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Thats why a pad running Win8 with x86 processor could be the thing of the pad future if it even has one...[/citation]
Epic win comment
+1000
The second a good tablet with Windows 8 comes out there will be no discussion of "does it do?" or "can it run" because the answer is yes.
All your existing software - MS Office and Photoshop spring to mind, as well as about 10 million others.
Your printer - sucks that you can't just load up a driver doesn't it?
Your peripherals - why can't I attach a USB DVD drive so I can watch a movie from disk?
Your files - I really want to watch those hi-def .MKV files or listen to FLAC audio, but can't seem to install codecs, why?

Diss x86 all you want, but it has been serving your requirements fine for years, all you are fauning over with tablets is the form-factor, not its feature rich operating systems.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
You are all idiots... Apple Fanboys will be apple fanboys (I call them Apple Drones because there is no Alternitave to the Apple God :lol: ). Android fanboys will be android fanboys. I LOVE the Honeycomb OS, and think it trumps the IOS. But, there are WAY more apps for IOS (Tablets-iPad) as they had a head start.

The iPad 2 is a mediocer tablet, overpriced (For a 'Web Browser'), and Apple is arrogant :). Most honeycomb devices have almost equal screens (IPS), come equiped with Tegra 2 (Faster than either iPad CPU's), and have a better OS. But if apps are all you care about, then go that way.

IOS is way too limited for me. I own an iPhone, and I can't beleive how simplistic it is and how limited that makes it. Honeycomb is both simple and has horizons of potential (No, its not complicated, take 10 minutes to learn Honeycomb). But once again it lacks apps.

Performance is null to me. I mean, get a game for the iPad, and put the same game on a Tegra 2 device, they will perform almost identicly.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Just buy an Acer W500 or msi 110W. I have the Acer, and while its not a screamer of a cpu at 2x 1ghz, it still lays a hurt on the atom cpu's and has integrated GFX but uses alot less power. This machine connects to tv's via HDMI, bluetooth keyboards and mice, SD memory card slot and even has usb ports for a printer, and plays flash. Oh yeah and it runs windows.

G

NOT an IT guru here....just an informatics-savvy Nurse who needs a new laptop, but realizes market going to tablet & abandoning laptop architecture...need something easier to carry (than a laptop) & do not want add'l wireless service.

I was one of the 1st home pc users, remembering when a 10 meg hard drive was something special. So, I've obviously witnessed new model pc's become obsolete in 6 mos time d/t advancing technology. I'm sure history will repeat itself with tablets. I could wait a while longer if I knew that a revolutionary design was just around the corner.

But, like many, I've been waiting ~ 6mos for the Toshiba Tablet. $$$ isn't really an issue, since I've had the cost of a Xoom tucked away for a while (almost dove in when the Xoom was being released).

Now, with all this said, if you were in my shoes, would you take the dive now? Or, do you have the inside scoop on some revolutionary, world-changing design that's planned for release in another 6 mos and suggest I wait just a little while longer? Thanks

G

OK so the big question is.... Is this tablet going to include 3g or 4g? I don't see that anywhere. Would like to have the option of using it away from wifi. I see some folks connect through wireless tethering either through bluetooth or wired tether (without incurring a tethering charge from wireless provider) but I haven't seen anyone saying discussing if that is possible on the toshiba tablet. Anyone know if either 1) 3g will be avaialbe or 2) can do a wireless tether to phone and not need 3g?

G

all I want is a computer I can rest on my chest while i lay on my bed and surf the web or read .pdf and .mobi books including textbooks wi/pictures. I want infinite zoom for the web and for books. a usb port if what i have been waiting for. why? duh how about if i want to add a keyboard or mouse, or a 1.5 tb ext drive with 200,000 books and movies on it? why is everyone who comments on tablets overlooking these aspects? I already have 3 computers with every app in the world. how many do i need on my little bedroom reader/browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.